Image: Flickr/ Bradford Grammar School

STEM subjects surge as A-Level results beat pre-pandemic highs

A-level results this year reached new heights, as the percentage of A and A* grades surpassed that of pre-pandemic records.  

27.8% of grades achieved were marked at A or A*, a slight rise from last year’s results of 27.2%. In England, 9.3% of results achieved an A*, the highest since the grade was introduced in 2010, excluding pandemic-era performances. 

These top results were largely powered by a huge increase in those taking STEM subjects, with further maths, physics, and computing seeing the greatest increases. 

In maths, which became the first subject to surpass 100,000 students, 42% of pupils reached an A or A* grade. Similarly, a third of those taking chemistry or physics achieved these top results. 

Marcus du Sautoy, a Professor of mathematics at the University of Oxford, told The Guardian: “The increased number of students taking maths at A-level reflects the fact that many students understand that we are living in an age where digital and mathematical literacy is crucial.” 

The rise in grades saw 4,135 students commemorate three or more A*s, nearly a 50% increase from pre-pandemic levels in 2019.  

Whilst previous years have witnessed unusually high results due to grade inflation left over from the pandemic, Ian Bauckham, Ofqual’s Chief Regulator, said that this year’s results were down to “the ability of the cohort”.  

However, the surge in grades was not a uniform trend across the UK. Although they rose in England, results fell in Wales and Northern Ireland, as well as in Scotland, which uses a different qualifications system. 

In all three countries, this was largely down to efforts by examiners to bring grades down this year from Covid-era highs, a task that England undertook last year. 

Even in England, there were significant regional disparities. London was the highest performing region, seeing 31.3% of grades achieve an A or A*. In contrast, the East Midlands took the title of the lowest performing region, with only 22.5% of their pupils achieving the higher grades. 

“82% of applicants […] secured a spot at their first-choice university or college”

This gap between the highest and lowest performing regions has grown since last year, adding to an increasing North-South divide in educational performance. The gap between the two regions is still higher than before the pandemic. 

Yet notably, it was a great year for those applying to university. UCAS reported that 82% of applicants had secured a spot at their first-choice university or college, up from 79% last year.