Oktoberfest: At Home and Abroad

Originally a Bavarian tradition following the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig I in 1810, Oktoberfest replicas have now spread all over Europe, occurring between mid-September to the first Sunday in October. Of course, the best Oktoberfest celebrations remain in Munich, with over 6 million people being drawn to the city specifically for the festival. Here, you can expect high quality beer from Munich’s six major breweries as well as an array of non-alcoholic drinks. There are a variety of tents for you to enter, which all have a different theme to them, such as a modern tent with a focus on vegetarian foods or a tent specifically aimed at international visitors. All tents serve a wide array of beers and food, with each tent having its own entertainment like crossbow competitions! But be wary as the prices of drinks vary depending on which tent you go to!

These outfits are not cheap with good outfits costing over 100 euros!

Be prepared to dress up in traditional Bavarian clothing, the Lederhosen outfit for boys and the Dirndls for girls. However, these outfits are not cheap with good outfits costing over 100 euros! As well as this, you will find rides, like high tech rollercoasters, such as the Five Loops (the largest transportable rollercoaster in the world), and booths which contain food and souvenir shops.  It is worth mentioning to be on the look out for celebrities as you may see some famous faces like Kim Kardashian and Arnold Schwarzenegger, who have both attended the festivities previously.

If you cannot attend the Munich Oktoberfest, there are many replicas in the UK, which offer a similar experience at a smaller level. During October, you can expect Oktoberfest celebrations in cities across the country such as in Manchester, Southampton and of course London. Although these events do not last the full length of a traditional Munich Oktoberfest, with most only lasting a few days, you can still expect to have lots of fun. In Manchester, for example, the tents are draped in Bavarian colours and bands come from Germany to try and offer participants an authentic Oktoberfest experience. In most UK Oktoberfest celebrations you can still taste Bavarian beers and traditional foods, so it will be just like going to Munich, minus the plane ride and the slightly hotter weather!

Whichever Oktoberfest celebrations you attend, you must try the traditional beers.

Whichever Oktoberfest celebrations you attend, you must try the traditional beers. If you like less hoppy lagers, the Märzen is for you. A malty, amber colour, you can expect a full bodied, sweet flavour. Enjoy wheat beer, then try the Weißbier, with a golden, cloudy appearance, this drink offers a fruity, spicy aroma leaving a crisp mouthfeel. Are you a fan of the maltiness of Guinness? Then, a Dunkel is for you! Dunkel beers are characterised by their colour, ranging from amber to dark-reddish brown. They offer a smooth, malty flavour and are often compared to stouts and porters. A final drink you must try at an Oktoberfest is the Helles. This pale lager beer offers a lighter alternative to the Märzen and is produced with a biscuity, smooth, lemon flavour. So, no matter the type of beer you enjoy, you are bound to find one you love at an Oktoberfest event.

In terms of food, either in the UK or in Munich, you can expect your tastebuds to be tantalised. With foods ranging from traditional German produce like pretzels and sausages, to universal favourites like roast chicken, there is something for everyone. Indeed, in the Ochsenbraterei beer tent, in Munich, over 120 entire oxen were eaten over the two weeks of Oktoberfest. For Vegans and Vegetarians there is still plenty of food for you to try such as the Knödel, which are potato or flour dumplings or Obatzda, which is a blend of spiced cheeses and butter. These foods can be found not only in Munich, but in Oktoberfest events across the UK, with food being made to replicate the real thing in Munich.

You can join in the Oktoberfest celebrations and have a whale of a time!

Therefore, no matter if you are in Germany or in the UK, you can join in the Oktoberfest celebrations and have a whale of a time! So grab some friends, dress up in your Lederhosen or Dirndls, and head off to an Oktoberfest event near you!