Image: Flickr / Andrew Miller

Dame Maggie Smith dies at 89

Dame Maggie Smith, the acclaimed actress whose career spanned more than six decades, has passed away at the age of 89.

A statement from her sons said she died peacefully in hospital on the morning of 27 September.

This has led to an outpouring of grief and tributes from fans, colleagues, and the entertainment industry.

Smith’s esteemed career included unforgettable roles in both theatre and film.

She captured the hearts of audiences worldwide

She captured the hearts of audiences worldwide as Professor Minerva McGonagall in the Harry Potter film series. Smith also portrayed the Dowager Countess in the critically acclaimed TV series Downton Abbey.

Her work earned her numerous awards. These included two Academy Awards, five BAFTAs, four Emmys, and a Tony Award.

Smith’s acting career began on stage with her debut at the Oxford Playhouse in the early 1950s.

Her breakthrough role came in 1969 when she won her first Oscar for her portrayal of Jean Brodie in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

Smith was also a longtime member of the National Theatre. She worked alongside the likes of Sir Laurence Olivier.

Her dedication to acting was evident in every performance, earning her a reputation as a true master of her craft.

Fans and fellow actors have taken to social media to express their sadness.

Harry Potter co-star Daniel Radcliffe led the tributes, stating: “The word legend is overused, but if it applies to anyone in our industry, then it applies to her. Thank you, Maggie.”

King Charles said that he and Queen Camilla are “deeply saddened”. Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer called the Oscar-winning actress a “true national treasure”.

Fellow Downton Abbey actor Hugh Bonneville commented she was a “true legend of her generation” with a “sharp eye, sharp wit, and formidable talent.”

Maggie made an extraordinary contribution to the profession

– Royal Shakespeare Company

The Royal Shakespeare Company released a statement honouring her legacy: “We are deeply saddened to hear of Maggie Smith’s passing.”

“Maggie made an extraordinary contribution to the profession, performing era-defining roles across stage and screen in a career that spanned over 60 years. Our thoughts are with Maggie’s family and friends.”

Smith is survived by her two sons, actors Chris Larkin and Toby Stephens.

Funeral arrangements are yet to be announced. A public memorial is expected to be held to celebrate the life of a woman who left an everlasting mark on the world of entertainment.