Clubbing/ Image: Nereid Ndreu/ Unsplash
Image: Nereid Ndreu/ Unsplash

A guide to clubbing outfits for students

University is a great time to experiment with personal style, and a night out provides an opportunity to wear something you might not choose for your 9am seminar. If you’re dreading the “what are you going to wear?” conversation every week, here are a few ideas to inspire you.

One item that makes any wardrobe clubbing-appropriate is a cute top. The best outfit collection, in my opinion, consists of a few styles of tops in different colours – colours are particularly useful if dressing for a social theme. Try a few different styles to see what you like, and whether a halter-neck, bandeau, or mesh top is the most comfortable for you. Then, you can pair these tops with different bottoms to have a number of outfits on rotation. A recent trend I like, is a longer-length top, as opposed to a crop top. Whether it’s a t-shirt neckline, off-the-shoulder, or an asymmetric hem style, this style of top can be worn both during the day, or at a club with a pair of low-waisted jeans. This makes for a great clubbing outfit, as well as for pubs and bars too.

In winter, make sure to prioritise warmth – you don’t want to be getting ill

For the lower half, a good pair of jeans is a must. My personal favourite styles are: baggy-fit jeans, for a more relaxed look, or flared jeans that can be paired with tops to give a 1970s vibe. Skirts are a trendy outfit for clubbing. You can go for a classic denim look, or a pleated miniskirt. These can be accessorised with patterned tights, cute socks, or even leg warmers in the winter months. In winter, make sure to prioritise warmth – you don’t want to be getting ill. I opt for a lightweight jacket that I can tie around my bag to avoid paying for a cloakroom or losing it.

Shoes-wise, practicality is your first concern. Clubs are rarely clean places, so you don’t want to sacrifice those gorgeous new shoes to the sticky floor. Clubbing trainers are a staple in every university student’s wardrobe, so choose a pair that you don’t mind getting a bit battered. You could even buy a cheap pair of trainers just for this purpose. However, if you want to mix it up a bit, 2024 has seen a rise in knee-high boots, particularly heeled boots. These look super sophisticated, particularly with a miniskirt. If you go for a leather (or faux leather) pair, you can also wipe them clean, keeping them looking fresh. There are some great second-hand options from sites like Depop at around £20.

Speaking of which, clubbing outfits can be put together on a student budget. I am a big fan of buying clubbing tops second-hand. So, I gravitate towards places like Depop and Vinted to find unique and affordable pieces. Sometimes, charity shops can have hidden gems, so it is worth scouring for these there. Alternatively, another option could be to borrow from your friends or flatmates, which can greatly increase your outfit choices. Clubbing outfits definitely don’t need to break the bank.

A bag is a practical necessity for a night out, whilst also serving as part of a cohesive outfit

If you are looking to refresh the outfits you already have, accessories are your best friend. It’s important not to underestimate the value of jewellery for clubbing outfits by making a plain top more interesting with a statement necklace or earrings. Stacked rings also look great. Don’t be afraid to mix gold and silver as well – there are no rules. Cheap sunglasses are such a fun clubbing accessory, and they are incredibly useful for costumes too. A bag is a practical necessity for a night out, whilst also serving as part of a cohesive outfit. The baguette bag has withstood the test of time and is my favourite style for clubbing. It is the perfect size to fit all the essentials, even an umbrella, and has a strap length that is comfortable to wear. A black bag is versatile, but bags can also be used to add a pop of colour, for example, a wine-red bag with a monochrome black outfit.

These are just some ways to build a cute outfit for a night out on a budget. Experiment and see what works for you.