Butterworth Hall, Warwick Arts Centre
Image Credits: Amanda Slater/Flickr (Butterworth Hall, Warwick Arts Centre)

A Deep Dive Into The Warwick Film Scene

On campus, there are ample opportunities to watch films. Whether you are a casual moviegoer or a self-proclaimed film buff, Warwick has something for everyone.  

Film and TV Society: Your Go-To for Themed Screenings and Social Events 

As the president of the Film and TV Society, I am very excited to welcome the freshers of 2024/2025! Film and TV Soc is one of the smaller societies on campus, but our selection of films is vast. Each week we choose a theme, and members of our executive team select films that fit that theme. The final choice is up to our Instagram followers, who vote for the film they would like to watch. The winning film is screened on Tuesday evenings in the Faculty of Arts Building. Past themes have included ‘Female Revenge Stories’, ‘Low-Budget Films’, and ‘Hangout Films’. We also hold frequent social events like, drinks at The Dirty Duck or Terrace Bar, games nights, and bonus screenings during the week. We are all about celebrating all facets of cinema and aim to make our approach both inclusive and interactive. These gatherings are perfect for meeting fellow film enthusiasts and making friends who share your passion for cinema. Our weekly screenings aren’t just about watching movies; they are a chance to discuss, dissect, and appreciate the art of filmmaking in a communal setting. 

Warwick Student Cinema: Your Affordable On-Campus Cinema Experience 

If you’re looking for a more traditional cinema experience without spending too much, Warwick Student Cinema (WSC) is a great option. Located in the Chemistry department on campus, WSC offers incredibly cheap tickets to a wide range of films: from the latest mainstream hits, to obscure indie gems. It’s student-run, just like many of Warwick’s societies, and if you are looking for experience behind the screen, they offer opportunities for students to get involved: whether it’s helping with film projection, marketing, or event organisation. Plus, with screenings almost every night, there’s always something to watch. 

Bad Film Society: Celebrating the Worst of Cinema 

For those who love films like The Room or Showgirls, the Bad Film Society is a must for you. Dedicated to screening films that are so bad they’re good, this society is perfect for those who see cinematic disasters as guilty pleasure films. The screenings are a lot of fun and it is a great way to unwind and enjoy movies in a different light. 

These events are the perfect way for non-cinema-focused societies to still enjoy films that resonate with specific interests and hobbies.

Other Societies and Their Film Nights 

Many societies at Warwick, whether they’re sports-focused, arts-based, or otherwise, host their own film nights that tie into their focus. For example, the Boxing Society might screen Rocky for inspiration, or the Barbell Society might show Pain and Gain. These events are the perfect way for non-cinema-focused societies to still enjoy films that resonate with specific interests and hobbies. 

Warwick Arts Centre 

The cinema at Warwick Arts Centre is especially ideal for new releases. Discounted film tickets at £7.50 are available for students to book through their website, as cinemas off-campus may not always offer such discounts. In addition to new releases, the Arts Centre holds screenings of classic films during anniversaries and festivals. Some English-language films are offered with subtitles at specific showings, increasing accessibility. While there are cinemas in Coventry and Leamington Spa (such as Odeon and Vue), the Warwick Arts Centre cinema is at an ideal location for cinephiles living on, or around campus, and may prove to be more pocket-friendly. There are also opportunities to volunteer at the Centre and join the “Under 25 Film Club”, which offers discounted tickets to its members (subject to a £10 membership fee). 

Personal Experience and Insights 

The film scene at the University is inclusive and immersive. The aforementioned societies offer affordable screenings, social events, and discussions, which in turn foster an environment of community and friendship. As an individual who was not entirely familiar with films, the film community at the University granted access to quality films at a walkable distance, thus nurturing a newfound passion and appreciation for cinema. The emphasis on celebrating older films, also allows members to celebrate cinema classics. The Student Cinema, for example, frequently screens classic films from 12 Angry Men, to the French classic, Amélie. It is not only about seeking out new releases, but also about rejoicing in, and rediscovering older gems. While these may be available to stream online, watching these on big screens with exemplary audio quality, is a uniquely mesmerising and precious experience. 

The Student Cinema provides opportunities to volunteer and distributes loyalty cards, which increases interest and excitement in watching more films. Events such as Pub Quizzes and Film All Nighters especially encourage teamwork and camaraderie among society members and film enthusiasts, allowing students to build a network with like-minded peers. The Bad Film Society was a personal highlight, as in addition to viewing and appreciating hilarious films, there was an indelible sense of familiarity and friendship that positively impacted my university experience, especially as an international student.  

This may even allow students to create their own films – by finding peers in film-related societies across different courses and backgrounds.

For budding cinephiles, this proves to be an ideal environment as film-related societies are welcoming and accessible, allowing people with a varying range of interests and experiences with film to assimilate. Not only this, but the society structure allows students to build their own communities surrounding particular niches. This may even allow students to create their own films – by finding peers in film-related societies across different courses and backgrounds. Bad Film Society, for example, hosts the annual ‘Bad Film Oscars’ wherein members can collaborate and create their own ‘bad films’. The Filmmaking Society, in turn, also facilitates this productive and active atmosphere.  

Such opportunities are additionally crucial in facilitating an accessible and affordable space for film enthusiasts.

Interspersed between the larger societies are also some precious gems. Departments within the Faculty of Arts may host their own film screenings. Earlier this year, a Gothic Film Festival was conducted in the Faculty of Arts Cinema, where horror films such as Train to Busan and Cronos were screened, free of charge, for interested students and staff. Such opportunities are additionally crucial in facilitating an accessible and affordable space for film enthusiasts.  

In conclusion, the University of Warwick Film scene is bustling and vibrant, with diverse film-related societies, events, and most importantly, passionate film enthusiasts. It is easy and straightforward to dwell into the cinema community, with welcoming societies and a plethora of options to branch out and socialise. The cinema scene here is glowing and luminescent, available for all to cherish, enjoy and revel in.