Year Abroad: Life In Sweden

As I step into the start of my second month studying abroad in Sweden, I’m still trying to wrap my head around the wonderful opportunities that have unfolded before me. From Swedish traditions to breathtaking landscapes, each day of this study abroad experience has been unforgettable so far. Exploring the winding streets, cosy cafes, and magnificent wildlife of Gothenburg have all begun to shape my transformative journey here and I am excited to see where it will take me next.

They told me all about their experience and how it had literally been life-changing, and I was captivated.

It was exactly a year ago that I decided to study abroad. I had always been on the fence about it throughout my first year, but the moment I actually decided was during Freshers’ Week of my second year at Warwick when I met someone who had just completed their year abroad in Australia. They told me all about their experience and how it had literally been life-changing, and I was captivated. For some reason, there and then, I decided that I was going to study abroad.

Fast-forward about 10 months, and I was booking my plane tickets to Gothenburg, Sweden for the 24/25 academic year. It took a lot of applications and paperwork to get here, but it finally happened, and I couldn’t be happier. After months of preparation and gearing myself up for such a big milestone in my life, I was finally starting my next adventure.

Joining this community has helped me connect with other exchange students who are navigating similar challenges to me – adjusting to a new culture, living in an unfamiliar country, and starting a new academic experience.

A typical Swedish welcome was waiting for me upon arrival – gusty winds and pouring rain. Can’t say I was too shocked about this, especially with all the miserable weather we get in the UK. A bus-ride, tram-ride and some soaking wet suitcases later, I made it to my accommodation. Being a building full of exchange students, it was nice knowing that everyone was in the same boat. My flatmates are Danish, Russian, French, German, and Irish – quite the mix! After teaching each other the customs and slang of our home countries (including ‘innit’ from me), I think we can all say that we get along quite well.

One of the first things I’ve done here is join the Erasmus Student Network (ESN). Under the principle of ‘students helping students,’ this community is all about representing international students, providing opportunities for cultural understanding and self-development. So far, I have attended their bowling event, sunset hangout, boat tour, pub quiz and city walk. Later on in the year, they also organise trips to Gotland, Lapland, Iceland, and the Norwegian Fjords which I am very much looking forward to. Joining this community has helped me connect with other exchange students who are navigating similar challenges to me – adjusting to a new culture, living in an unfamiliar country, and starting a new academic experience. Talking with other exchange students has also exposed me to so many global perspectives and lifestyles – I am very grateful for this community of students.

Just putting in my earphones and walking around the city is enough to make my day.

Along with attending a couple of social events, I have also spent some time on my own solo adventures. I have loved simply just walking through the streets of Gothenburg; the cobblestone alleys, wooden houses, outdoor cafes and street musicians have all created the perfect balance of history, beauty and serenity. Just putting in my earphones and walking around the city is enough to make my day. One particular landmark that caught my attention was Skansen Kronan (“the Crown Sconce”) a fortress that sits atop a hill in the Haga district of Gothenburg. Not only is the building itself visually stunning, but the views you get from climbing the hill are breathtaking.

Speaking of good views, I have also spent the day on the island of Asperö located in the southern part of the archipelago, home to around 450 inhabitants. The uninhabited parts of the island are free to walk around and there is also a scenic view at the top of Valen hill. Known for its quiet fishing village and beautiful swimming spots, this island proved to be a great day out and an amazing solo adventure for me.

Along with this large green space, Gothenburg is also home to a lot of lakes – so far, I have visited Bergsjobadet and Delsjobadet, one of which I actually swam in!

During a week of very hot weather (up to 29°C), I also managed to do a lot of hiking around the green areas of the city. Slottsskogen (‘The Castle Forest’) is a park located in central Gothenburg which has the character of an English garden with lawns and trees. Being the Swedish equivalent of Hyde Park in London or Central Park in New York, Slottskogen has a wide range of activities including a zoo with Swedish animals, a pond with seals and penguins, a playground and a mini golf course. Along with this large green space, Gothenburg is also home to a lot of lakes – so far, I have visited Bergsjobadet and Delsjobadet, one of which I actually swam in!

After experiencing a week of extremely hot weather, I started to notice the typical Swedish weather slowly making its return. One dark, dreary day I decided to take a trip to the Gothenburg Konstmuseum (Museum of Art). Being free for students, the museum is home to one of the foremost art collections in Northern Europe. Works by masters such as Rembrandt, Picasso and van Gogh are shown side by side with works by contemporary artists such as Charlotte Gyllenhammar, Lina Selander and Cajsa von Zeipel. As it was a weekday, I enjoyed the peace and quiet of a fairly empty museum and even treated myself to a few things in the gift shop.

Though I’m still in the early stages of this journey, Sweden is already shaping me into a new person.

More recently, I have visited ‘The Purrfect Café,’ Gothenburg’s first (and only) cat café – a spot to relax and unwind surrounded by adoptable and adorable cats. Ever since the Cat Café in Coventry had to unfortunately close, I have been on the lookout for a new place to go. Moving to a new country convinced me that I wasn’t going to be finding one soon…how wrong I was. After going just once, I already know that I am going to become a regular there. The café is run by Alice and Rebecca, both with experience from working at animal hospitals. Their ambition, besides offering a great experience, is to help highlight the situation with hundreds of thousands of homeless cats in Sweden.

As I reflect on my first few weeks in Sweden, it’s clear that this experience is going to be so much more than I anticipated. Though I’m still in the early stages of this journey, Sweden is already shaping me into a new person. I’m excited to continue creating memories and hope that my time here won’t fly by too fast.