Image: Twitter/X / uniofwarwick

University apologises for “distress” caused amid ‘far-right’ conference backlash

The University of Warwick has apologised after a ‘far-right’ conference sparked backlash among students, but has insisted that it had “no legal grounds” to cancel the event.

The Witan 2024, which was held at the University’s Faculty of Arts Building (FAB) from 30 August to 1 September, featured speakers including Carl Benjamin and Neema Parvini — both of whom have previously been linked to far-right activism online. ­

In an email seen by The Boar, the University apologised to students and staff who felt “uncomfortable” as a result of the event, and added that the University does not support “any of the viewpoints” espoused by the event’s organisers.

A review into the University’s booking procedure for events and conferences has also been confirmed, following complaints about the event.

We acknowledge that the timing of the event following disturbances across the UK this summer will undoubtedly have caused distress

Warwick Conferences statement

Warwick Conferences, who are responsible for conference and room bookings during the summer holiday period, told one student who raised a complaint about the event that: “We acknowledge that hosting the ‘Witan 24’ has made our community feel uncomfortable and for that we apologise.

“We want to assure you that the University does not support any of the viewpoints of the group. Equally, we acknowledge that the timing of the event following disturbances across the UK this summer will undoubtedly have caused distress. There was never any intention to do this.”

They added: “Our bookings procedure is also being reviewed to ensure better due diligence checks are carried out in a more timely and robust manner going forward.”

The University has claimed that concerns about the event were only raised after they had entered a contract with the event organiser, Scyldings Group, meaning that they “had no legal grounds to withdraw” from hosting the conference.

These claims are complicated by comments from Scyldings Group themselves, with a spokesperson for the organisers having told The Boar that the event had passed the University’s risk assessment process with “flying colours” after the group were asked by the University to submit names of the speakers due at the event.

The University would not confirm whether it was aware of the planned content of the event, or whether on-campus accommodation had been provided

The location of the conference was not disclosed to members of the public, meaning staff and students at the University had no opportunity to raise concerns prior to the event. Organisers of the event said that the undisclosed location helped to “ensure the privacy of our guests and speakers”.

The University would not confirm to The Boar whether it was aware of the planned content of the event, or whether on-campus accommodation had been provided for conference guests.

Widespread condemnation of the event by members of the University community has continued to spread following the conference, with students and staff sharing criticism online over the University’s decision to host.

Warwick RIOT, an online group that lists itself as “holding perpetrators of sexual violence accountable” at the University, published a statement on Instagram which branded the University’s decision to host the event as “unsurprising”, especially in light of “recent controversies” at the University.

The University’s callous disregard for its students is loud and clear, and we are tired of your empty apologies and hollow promises

Warwick RIOT statement

The statement added: “The very existence of [the Witan] event is a slap in the face for everyone who has fought to implement change in the University. We ask: have you not learned anything from your students? Many of us have pled, campaigned, and sacrificed our degrees and education so that future students have it easier. And yet, you still do not listen.

“The University’s callous disregard for its students is loud and clear, and we are tired of your empty apologies and hollow promises.”

Other groups, including the Warwick Student-Staff Solidarity Network and Warwick Amnesty, have also criticised the University’s decision to host the event, with the latter calling on the University to “stop platforming fascists on campus”.

Staff at the University have also voiced their concerns and shock on social media, with one Politics professor writing on X: “Wtaf ­– this thinly veiled white supremacist gathering is happening on my university campus.”

Marina Veličković, a Research Fellow in the School of Law, also criticised the University’s ‘double standards’. Writing on X, she said: “It’s funny because try organising an event on Palestine and it’s almost guaranteed it fails the University’s risk assessment, but a far-right conference got a go-ahead”.

Scyldings Group previously denied any controversy surrounding the event, telling The Boar that: “The students who have asked our booksellers questions have been polite and inquisitive, with several asking how they could buy a ticket for next year.”

Initial concern over the event, which was first reported by The Boar on 31 August, stemmed from the backgrounds of several speakers who had been billed to speak at the event, including Carl Benjamin who was previously investigated by the police for comments he made towards Labour MP Jess Phillips, tweeting that he “wouldn’t even rape” her.

The event, which was also held at the University in 2022, also drew further criticism for its association with the publisher Imperium Press, who made headlines earlier this year for publishing books promoting the far-right “Aryan worldview”.

The University stressed that security measures were in place to “ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff, students, and visitors”, and added that anyone who needed support should contact the Report and Support service.

• Enoch Wright

Sounds like a lot of snowflakes reacting to this conference don’t like having opinions other than their own misguided indoctrination on offer. How very fascist!

Looking forward to next year’s conference!