Image: Raw Pixel

The ultimate freshers’ dance playlist

When I was given the challenge of making a Freshers Playlist for 2024, I was instantly excited. With 2024 being such a standout year for music, especially for students and young people, I initially struggled to choose a genre. Having brainstormed, I decided on a mix of dance classics and notorious hits. If you’re running on three hours of sleep and heading to yet another night out, these tracks are sure to keep your energy high as you brave your first course events. 

‘Rockafeller Skank’ – Fatboy Slim 

It felt right to start this playlist with some electronica that defined the big beats movement, this being the dance classic ‘Rockafeller Skank’, my favourite by Fatboy Slim. The near seven-minute run time and consistent pace change will always make you feel lively and impress your new flatmates with your knowledge of proper dance music. It’s a true party starter and some proper dad music at its finest.  

‘Back to One’ – Peggy Gou 

This summer has seen me develop a slight obsession with South Korean DJ, Peggy Gou, with ‘Back to One’ being my favourite track from her recent album, I Hear You. Whilst ‘(It Goes Like) Nanana’ allowed her career to truly take off, there’s something about ‘Back to One’ that makes it an irresistible dance hit. I absolutely recommend her whole album, with Peggy Gou’s vibrant house music adding some upbeat flair to the female DJ music scene.  

‘365’ – Charli XCX 

The brat superfan wishes have been delivered, I simply could not make a dance playlist without adding some Charli XCX. In preparation for every university social being reminiscent of a ‘brat girl summer’, I’ve added my favourite track from her highly acclaimed newest album. A familiar track always perks up a party atmosphere, and everyone is currently indulged in the world of Charli XCX, so why not choose the jam-packed chaos of ‘365’?  

‘Paris City Jazz’ – Bellaire 

A slightly more niche choice of music, but still a hit. Supplying a smoother, more jazz-inspired form of dance, ‘Paris City Jazz’ is a perfect addition to your ‘pres playlist’ to start your night off right. Without sounding too cringe, this track is the definition of cool, and a true hit for all dance music fans.  

‘Good Life’ – Inner City 

No one does classic dance like Inner City. Although it was released in 1989, ‘Good Life’ is the greatest hit by the electronic music group and stands the test of time. 80s  techno is always a treat, and the unique sound in ‘Good Life’ is unmissable when devising your party playlist.  

‘Acceptable in the 80s’ – Calvin Harris 

I have to think of The Inbetweeners when I listen to ‘Acceptable in the 80s’ by Calvin Harris, but nevertheless, the high energy of this track is something I will always love. Harris truly encapsulates the vibe of early 2000s dance music, and his electronic flair has cemented it into the classic realm of music of its era. With all its catchy hooks, this song, once listened to, won’t leave your head throughout Freshers’ Week. 

‘Murder on the Dancefloor’ – Sophie Ellis-Bextor 

I know ‘Murder on the Dancefloor’ doesn’t match the quite intense dance repertoire of my previous choices, but the resurgence of this classic has allowed it to find a place. By the end of Freshers’ Week, I am convinced I will have heard this track every night, with Warwick’s classic night out POP! playing it up to three times by the end of last year. Everyone knows the words, consequently making it the best sing-along, adding some necessary flavour to any night out. 

Hopefully, these tracks will be the anthem of your Freshers’ Week, follow you through some of the best nights out, and motivate you through some of your most memorable hangovers.