Wardrobe/ Image: Rachel Claire/ Pexels
Image: Rachel Claire/ Pexels

The modern student wardrobe

My editor wants wardrobe essentials. And essentials she shall get. But you read the lifestyle section! Chances are you’re not looking to be sold on the importance of having some comfy sweatpants. Fashion has exploded in terms of a medium of expression for Gen Z, and so the idea that new (or returning) university students want to bring their clothing A-game hardly fits the definition of a shocking headline. This article was written with this in mind.

However, I’m aware not everyone who wants to look nice and stay with the times has to be a fashionista, so I’ll keep it a buck and save you from a £2000 SSENSE basket (though do keep an eye on those sales). We’re sticking to modern wardrobe requirements, here. You’re also in for a treat. I had the pleasure of picking the brains of two of my close friends who offer diverse and varied opinions from both sides of the fashion track. Yousra Pucci is a European, third-year international management student who, coincidentally, is into dressing nicely. What a surprise. She’s currently on a work placement at Bottega Veneta and worked at Line, Warwick’s fashion and arts society, as their head of marketing. Isaac Phelan also likes clothes. He was the head designer for his own immersive fashion show, Shrine. He makes short films, works at a thrift store, and has worked as a stylist on various photography projects that used vintage or reused clothing. Let’s dig in.

It doesn’t matter how serious the fit is, a silly pair of shoes will take a dump on its cohesiveness

To start, I asked them both how one can avoid the cliché in their outfits, and Yousra had some tangible advice. She faced the common problem of bringing her whole wardrobe to university and realising not even half of it fit in her closet. “Prioritise a few good quality pieces,” so the pieces you do choose to bring aren’t dependent on some micro-trend that will expire before last week’s groceries. “By second or third year you’ll want to have three good pairs of jeans and a couple of tailored trousers. And accessorise! Scarfs, jewellery, and sunglasses are massive for your outfits”. Isaac took a more philosophical approach. “People need to stop trying to be purists that care too much. Wear what makes you passionate”. He thinks wearing something specifically to avoid looking cliché is self-defeating, and I’m inclined to agree. “You’re buying to participate at that point, so I can’t actually recommend any specific pieces”. He still, however, offered his two cents: “Just go to a good charity shop. It’s the one place you’ll find those pieces no one is already telling you to wear”. Or: “Another route to being authentic with what you wear is doing your research. Just find out where the pieces came from”. Not only does this fall in line with the more sustainable and deliberate shopping trends of late, but it can generate some conversation and personality about what you wear. “No one is going to ask to ask you about your Sambas, dude”.

This brings us to the issue of shoes. They shouldn’t be difficult, but they kind of are. And they play the role in moderating the tone of your outfits. It doesn’t matter how serious the fit is, a silly pair of shoes will take a dump on its cohesiveness. I’m not here to recommend trainers. A wise man quoted in this article once said, “I don’t believe a single person in the world is passionate about panda dunks”. When I asked both him and Yousra how one can elevate their outfit, both emphasised ground-up approaches, specifically those based on boots and loafers. Isaac is right when he says there are a thousand ways to wear a boot. Want to go further? All three of us agree on cowboy boots. There are dozens of quality pairs to be found on Depop. And don’t sleep on the loafers either! Yousra finds them perfect for casual or work wear, and Isaac claims they’re just as versatile as any trainer. “Overall,” he says, “focus on the bottom half. I’m a strong believer the top doesn’t matter”. Sorry, but your denim jacket will never look good if all you own is joggers.

Whatever you buy, make sure you’re doing it for you. No one else

But oh, do I love denim. This is my final recommendation. With denim, always take the quality route – because when denim lasts, it lasts. As for jeans, the baggy look is fortunately still in and will afford most of your outfits a balanced silhouette. Experiment with flares and bootcut, which will get you in on that breezy ‘70s style that’s back on the cards while falling nicely on nearly any pair of shoes especially those cowboy boots. If you’re willing to sell your mother’s jewellery collection or maybe an organ, head over to Acne Studios – their pieces are gorgeous – but Levi’s or Wrangler can absolutely get the job done on a budget, especially if acquired second-hand. I’ve seen pairs run for less than 20 pounds. Oh! Also make sure you have a black pair, too. (Avoid overly stone washed, please. Why? Because I just really don’t like them.) A denim jacket or two should be next on your list. Any colour can work. Bonus points if it’s cropped. “Matching denim looks fantastic,” says Yousra and she’s right. “It’s minimal effort. All you need then is a white T-shirt”.

Another great brand to find what you need is UNIQLO, and if you’re nearby, absolutely pay a visit to Bicester village or Baker Street, London. But know that a good wardrobe takes time to build. You may not be able to grab all these in one shopping trip, but I trust those of you lost on the task of your pre-university shop now at least know where to start: accessories, boots and loafers, quality denim, and being deliberate in what you buy. But whatever you buy, make sure you’re doing it for you. No one else.