Image: Wikimedia Commons

Texas are still on top form at Utilita Arena Birmingham

Utilita Arena, Birmingham, September 13 2024

There is always a pit in my stomach whenever an artist announces they are doing a ‘Best Of’ tour. A worry that the artist may not be doing the tour because they harbour a real desire to revisit the classics that defined their career and allowed them to develop as artists, or if it is a cash grab, a reliable source of income from invested fans. Whilst the latter is far more common to witness, and often dampens the experience of watching the band play, it is a relief to know that Texas easily place themselves within the former category.

From the moment that the opening notes of their debut hit song ‘I Don’t Want a Lover’ begin to incorporate themselves into a monologue from the film Paris, Texas (1984) which the band take their name from, Texas are entirely self-assured and focused. As footage from old music videos plays on the big screen behind them, the band easily weaves their way through their different eras. Some, like the opening track and songs like ‘Hi’ and ‘Summer Son’, are upbeat rock tracks that Texas use to engage the whole audience, getting them to dance and clearly enjoy playing; others, like their cover of Al Green’s ‘Tired of Being Alone’ and song ‘Sleep’, their duet with Paul Buchanan, highlight how much they have grown as a band over the 35 years.

Each exploration into a new genre allows [ Texas ] to craft more powerful music which translates to even greater performances

They also play a selection of stripped-down acoustic tracks, allowing Sharlene Spiteri’s vocals and grounded lyrics to shine through. Not only have Texas managed to explore different genres and broaden their sound, but also deepen it – each exploration into a new genre allows them to craft more powerful music which translates to even greater performances.

However, the real star of the show is not any of the songs themselves, but the band’s lead singer and guitarist, Sharlene Spiteri. Not only vocally is she in phenomenal form, able to make her voice as crisp and soulful as it sounded in 1989, but as a performer she’s immensely engaging, throwing out witty remarks coated in obscenities. In between delivering these brilliant songs Spiteri wryly jokes with the audience about how her sparkly black suit “sits somewhere between Elton John and Cilla Black” and how, when she takes the jacket off later in the set, it kind of “makes [her] feel like Magic Mike”. As she asks the audience to dance or sing along with her, she simultaneously jokingly critiques people for not being loud enough or committed enough to dancing. Despite being on flu medication that, by her own admission, leaves her slightly disorientated, she is razor sharp and on immensely strong form throughout the whole show, even ending on the remark that people who don’t know the Elvis song ‘Suspicious Minds’ they end the show on should “fucking go home”. Whilst some lead singers can feel compelled to recycle the persona that was attached to them when they became focused, Spiteri seems more interested in being true to herself, even if that authenticity is comprised mostly of swear words.

Throughout the entire show, Texas are bright, controlled, and able to deliver a truly great performance, weaving through all the different periods of their career

Throughout the entire show, Texas are bright, controlled, and able to deliver a truly great performance, weaving through all the different periods of their career. The audience they have earned are ones that are dedicated, seen through the country embellishments several people have on their outfits along with bits of merchandise. Texas rewards that loyalty by delivering a brilliant performance that, whilst being two hours long, remains continually enjoyable and engaging. From the moment that the drape falls at the start of the set, Texas can astutely balance performing songs from throughout their career, including hit songs like ‘Say What You Want’, as well as more recent songs like ‘Mr Haze’, which samples Donna Summer’s ‘Loves Unkind’, in a captivating way, whilst also finding space for the band to tell jokes amongst themselves and with members of the audience, delivering different stories about their time on tour.

Watching the band command the stage and deliver such great songs with ease makes Texas feel as though they are still performing at the highest level imaginable, albeit thirty-five years since the release of their debut album.

★★★★