Stew/ Image: Laura Ohlman/ Unsplash
Image: Laura Ohlman/ Unsplash

My favourite autumn dishes

Autumn is a time for generous helpings of gravy, mashed potatoes, and chunky soups. It’s the season to wrap up warm and keep cosy, making yourself comfort foods that are warm and filling – perfect for a cold and rainy English autumn. Here is a list of meals that are just what you need on those cold, dim days that are sure to be tasty, filling, and a bright spot in your day.

First of all, I think it is a great thing to use locally sourced produce or foods grown in the UK. A great way to do this is to incorporate seasonal autumn vegetables into your dishes. This can include carrots, potatoes, parsnips, leeks, cauliflower, swede, onions, and shallots. Not only are they in season but they’re also good for you – it is important to remember to eat fruit and vegetables at university.

Of course, the ultimate autumn meal is a roast dinner

Classic autumn dishes like sausage and mash, pie and mash or Shepherd’s pie can be great in autumn and relatively easy for students to make on a student budget. You could even have the superior cousin of sausage and mash, toad in the hole. Of course, the ultimate autumn meal is a roast dinner. It is a bit more advanced to make but get together with some friends and all contributeI. It could end up being cost-effective and a fun thing to do on a rainy autumn day.

In my opinion, soups and stews are perfect in the colder months. Soups are great for lunchtime or served alongside bread for dinner. It’s nice to make your own, but if you’re looking for a hearty meal quickly, supermarkets sell some delicious fresh soups. My favourites would be a spicy red lentil soup or a chunky tomato soup. Stews are always nice after a long cold day and much easier to make than you think. The same goes for casseroles, especially if you slow-cook them throughout the day. They can be a great option for a comforting autumn meal.

Chilli con carne is a great, hearty meal to have in autumn and is so versatile. It can be served with rice, tortillas, sour cream, cheese, jalapenos – the list is so long, and makes for a really enjoyable autumn meal. By utilising mince and bolognese sauce, this is an excellent, easy meal in the coming months.

Certain kinds of pastas are also delicious in autumn. Lots of rich tomato-based pastas are warming and comforting in autumn, but I also think pastas rich in cream and cheese can be great. You can utilise seasonal vegetables in pastas making them healthy and tasty. A comfort meal that is so easy for students can also be tuna pasta bake, which incorporates a creamy mushroom sauce, tuna, of course, peas, tomatoes, and cheese.

Roasted, mashed, dauphinoise, potatoes are so versatile and a substantial accompaniment

In the same vein as pasta, gnocchi can also be a crowd-pleaser for autumn. Being such a versatile base for so many sauces, it’s really up to you what you eat it with but as a potato it’s warm, filling and perfect for those chilly autumn days.

Potatoes as a whole are a great addition to any autumn meal. Roasted, mashed, dauphinoise: potatoes are so versatile, and a substantial accompaniment to any autumn dish. A jacket potato is an easy, budget-friendly and filling meal. There’s a great variety of toppings for a jacket potato ranging from the easy-peasy baked beans and cheese to American-style loaded potatoes with bacon and sour cream.

Finally, autumn is a great time of year for toasted crumpets, teacakes, fruit loaf, and even marshmallows by the fire. Enjoy the cosy months of autumn and hunker down with these delicious dishes – bon appetite!