Image: Wikimedia Commons/ Supercarwaar

Leamington Paralympian makes history as first blind woman to complete Channel swim

Melanie Barratt has become the first blind woman to successfully complete ‘the Channel swim’ having previously won two golds, two silvers, and a bronze medal at the Paralympic games in 1996 and 2000.

The swim started on 28 August from Shakespeare Beach in Dover and finished on Cap Gris Nez Beach in France. Though Barratt had initially predicted to complete the swim in 14 hours, she achieved an impressive time of 12 hours and 20 minutes.

“To successfully complete the Channel Swim was an incredible finishing touch following two years of training.”

Melanie Barratt

On completing the swim, Barratt stated:“I can’t believe it – I’m a Channel Swimmer […] To successfully complete the Channel Swim was an incredible finishing touch following two years of training.”

However, this isn’t her only achievement. In 2023, Barratt and five of her teammates from Ironfish Swimmers undertook ‘The Ultimate Trophy Swim’ across Lake Geneva, completing the swim in 27 hours, 36 minutes and 19 seconds.

Over the years of her impressive career, Barratt has been a strong supporter of British Blind Sport (BBS), a national sports charity for children and adults with sight loss in the UK.

The swim aimed to raise money for the charity, so far amassing over £17,000. The JustGiving page for Barratt’s Channel Swim is still open.

In response to her Channel swim, Alaina MacGregor, BBS’s chief executive, said: “We are so proud of Mel on this amazing achievement in becoming the first blind woman to swim the English Channel […] We have known Mel for a long time and are so grateful that she chose to support BBS while undertaking this challenge.”

Barratt’s achievements are also being chronicled in ‘Untethered,’ a documentary about her journey as a Paralympic and open-water swimmer. The documentary is due to air in Autumn 2024.