Image: Opera at Warwick

An introduction to the University of Warwick’s music societies

Joining a society in university is a great way to meet new people with similar interests. Why not join one of the University of Warwick’s music societies? Whether you are a Grade 8 musician or just want to try something new, one of Warwick’s music societies will have something for you! Read what just a handful of Warwick’s music societies have to offer: 

Warwick A cappella Society: 

@wacasociety 

WACA is the society for anyone who loves to sing, beatbox, perform, loves a cappella music, wants to get involved in our socials, or just loves Pitch Perfect! It’s the umbrella society for all of our a cappella groups, and our job is to encourage everyone in the society to come together for showcase performances, socials, as well as informal ‘All Sing’ workshops to learn new skills and have fun! 

Freshers can get involved by attending one of our workshops, which will be held on 24 September: 16:00-16:30pm in FAB 5.03, 25 September: 14:00-14:30pm in R2.4, and 27 September: 14:00-14:30pm in R2.41, or performances during Welcome Week, which will take place on 21 September: 17:00-17:30pm on Arrivals Stage, 23 September: 13:00-13:30pm in Warwick Arts Centre foyer, and 27 September: 13:00-13:30pm in FAB Agora. 

WACA holds informal termly showcases, regular socials, exciting performance opportunities, workshops, collaborations with other societies, showcials, and lots more. Additionally, the competition groups (Leamingtones and Offscore) participate at the ICCAs (the competition in Pitch Perfect!) usually in January, against other university’s a cappella groups.  

If you love to sing, beatbox, appreciate a cappella music, want to try something new and develop skills, meet like-minded people, or just attend super fun socials, WACA is for you! 

BandSoc: 

@warwickbandsoc 

BandSoc is an inclusive music community open to all levels of experience. We encourage our members to form bands, write their own original music, and play at gig opportunities we provide. Whatever genre you’re interested in, you can find people to play music with at BandSoc!  

Feel free to drop into any of our events at any point of the year, such as jam nights, socials, or gigs. Join our Discord and check out our Instagram @warwickbandsoc to find more information!  

We have three music showcase events planned, two meet and greets, and we’ll be at the Societies Fair on Thursday. Find our Welcome Week timetable on our Instagram! 

BandSoc’s yearly highlight is Battle of the Bands, a competition that runs for the entirety of Term Two. All are encouraged to sign up, whether you’re a new or experienced band! We also have Battle of the Cover Bands in Term One, plus jam nights, gigs, and socials throughout the year, and finally Wickfest, our very own music festival.  

BandSoc provides performance opportunities, a friendly atmosphere, and experience with live music and the industry. If you want to join a community of people who love music, BandSoc is the place for you.  

We are currently enjoying listening to The Doughnut in Granny’s Greenhouse by Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band! 

OperaWarwick: 

@operawarwick 

OperaWarwick is an opera society which is part of the music centre at Warwick University. We want to break the stereotype that opera is boring or inaccessible by creating a fun and welcoming society where no prior experience is required – just a love for singing! Every year we run lots of events from studio shows, concerts, and theatre shows, to trips, tours, and socials. 

All freshers (and any other year) are welcome at OperaWarwick! Get involved by attending a social or workshop, or audition for one of our upcoming shows or concerts. Follow the link in our Instagram bio to join the WhatsApp group and you’ll never miss out! 

In Freshers’ Week we have lots of events for new students to try! We are running a relaxed workshop and a few socials, as well as holding two performances that you can watch to get a taste of the society! The full calendar is posted on our Instagram. We’ll also be at the societies fair and music centre fair, so look out for someone in a burgundy jumper if you have any questions.  

We have many events planned for the year, but the highlights have to be our shows: The Queen of Spades and Pitch Perfect (the opera!). Written by Tchaikovsky, we’ll be performing The Queen of Spades as a full stage show in the Arts Centre in February. Pitch Perfect is a student-written comedy, perfect for people who want to try opera in a relaxed way. We’re running two concerts this year as well, and our Autumn concert is open for sign-ups. We also have lots of socials and trips planned, as well as our first tour! 

Freshers should join our society because we offer something completely unique: a blend of classical singing and drama in a fun environment. As we have no expectation of previous experience, this is the perfect society for people wanting to try something new! The experience of performing on a professional stage is incredible, and we are the only society that offers that to everyone.  

Currently, we’re enjoying listening to The Marriage of Figaro and Carmen. Both are well-loved opera classics – have a listen and you’ll be surprised by how much you recognise! 

University of Warwick Symphony Orchestra: 

@warwicksymphony 

We are the University of Warwick Symphony Orchestra, a friendly and inclusive musical community dedicated to bringing orchestral music to everyone. We perform a wide repertoire, from classical masterpieces to contemporary works. Our members come from diverse backgrounds and skill levels, meeting every week for rehearsals and socials! 

We’re playing a free concert on 9 October, which includes Queen, Verdi Macbeth, and ‘Somewhere Over the Rainbow’, so join us! It’s free to play in and for audience members to come and listen, so get yourself, your friends, and your family involved. Rehearsals are in the Butterworth Hall, Warwick Arts Centre on Tuesdays at 18:45pm. Also, make sure to follow us on Instagram and join our WhatsApp to stay up to date about upcoming events. We have got some great socials planned! 

In Freshers’ Week, we have a Meet the Exec session in Terrace Bar on 27 September at 17:00pm. We will also be at the Societies Fair on 26 September if you would like to come for a chat.  

We have a concert at the end of every term that anyone can buy tickets for. Also, we will have MC Ball, which all the societies in the Music Centre attend. The highlight will be our music tour, where we travel abroad to perform and explore the local culture! 

Joining the University of Warwick Symphony Orchestra is a fantastic way to meet new people! We’ve got lots of people from different courses and years. Plus, we have lots of opportunities to play for other ensembles too! 

Our favourite albums right now are The Forever Story by JID and Mahler’s Symphony No. 9