Aviva Stadium
Image: Wikimedia Commons/ Arne Müseler

‘Carsley Ball’: A round up of England’s first International break under new management

Lee Carsley’s opening fixtures as England boss were always going to be more about pitching his style of play than the results. In his first two matches, he will have hoped to have brought the FA and the squad onboard with his tactics, as well as perhaps most importantly the fans, who had become disillusioned with the slow build up that epitomised the close of Southgate’s tenure.
Results have come to be expected in this England team stock-full of talent, and those two 2-0 wins against Ireland and Finland, whilst comfortable, will likely only partially factor in the FA’s eventual decision on Carsley’s position. More importantly, the eye-catching new style of play that Carsley implemented and his side’s more front footed approach on the ball could play a big part in discussions over the interim’s future.

The unlikely figure of Gomes could become a new centrepiece for England

Carsley’s success at u21 level meant that he was likely to take one or two players up into senior football, who excelled during their incredible run in the European championships. It seems, at the moment, that Angel Gomes is the primary benefactor of Carsley’s appointment. Gomes, who started 5 out of the 6 games in the u21 Euros including all knockout games, seems to be a manager’s favourite; he came off the bench in the Ireland game and started against Finland. The Lille midfielder seems to be the player Carsley best feels can implement this transformation in the England team from slow build up to breaking defensive lines and moving the ball with purpose.

During the Finland game, Gomes managed 17 passes into the final third, 10 more than Kobbie Mainoo was able to manage against Slovakia in July. In Gomes, we see a midfielder a lot more comfortable at progressing the ball forward. Whilst Mainoo is a very strong player, his main attributes lie in breaking down play and standing alongside Rice in midfield. Two defensively minded players in the central 3 can encourage more negative football, which is often what we saw at Euro 2024. With his offensive offerings in mind, the unlikely figure of Gomes could become a new centrepiece for England after a successful international break.

Carsley has early on imprinted his own stamp on this England football team

Anthony Gordon’s post-match comments against Ireland also pose an interesting insight into the difference Carsley has brought about already in his short time in the England camp. He told ITV sports that one of the main reasons for the performance was the freedom the new manager allowed with ‘Grealish going all over the pitch’ and ‘me and Saka being able to hold the width’. This comes off the back of Gordon criticising a lack of freedom under Southgate as well as his disappointment at a lack of game time at the Euros. England were impressive but they will face sterner tests than Ireland and Finland; it will be in big-nation games that Carsley will be truly judged.

What, however is clear, is that Carsley has early on imprinted his own stamp on this England football team, attempting to bring a refreshing burst of freedom to their play. While the future of English Football’s top job still remains uncertain, fans should be looking forward to the future after encouraging signs in the first round of Nations League fixtures.