Gothenburg/ Image: Tony Webster/ Wikimedia Commons
Image: Tony Webster/ Wikimedia Commons

A glimpse into Swedish life: culture, customs and more

I have been living in Sweden for almost three weeks, a little way through my year abroad as a Sociology student. Known for its breathtaking landscapes, connection to nature, and high quality of life, Sweden was always going to be at the top of my list when choosing the country I wanted to study in – I couldn’t have chosen better!

Though often overshadowed by the magnificence of Stockholm, the city of Gothenburg, Sweden’s second largest city, has truly captured my heart with its coastal ambience, green spaces, and unique architectural character. Living here has been calming – a much more inviting vibe than the hustle and bustle of Stockholm.

I have not been a resident here long, yet the customs, culture, and everyday way of life have slowly started to seep into my daily routine. What I love most is that the Swedish lifestyle has invited me to slow down and embrace a sense of harmony and balance. So, let’s take a look at the key elements that define Swedish living:

1. Fika
This is probably my favourite Swedish tradition. Put simply, ‘fika’ is a coffee break. I don’t drink coffee which I know sounds like a big problem here – but that doesn’t mean I can’t partake in ‘fika.’ The coffee can be replaced with any drink (though a hot beverage is usually preferred). More often than not, it is accompanied by a sweet treat or a snack. Who doesn’t love a good sweet treat?

What do you eat for fika? Good question. Cinnamon buns are usually the best-loved pastry among the people of Sweden (especially ones known as kanelbullar). With its irresistible combination of sweetness and spice, these cinnamon buns are truly hard to resist. If cinnamon spice isn’t your thing, never fear, all sorts of cakes, cookies, and sandwiches are acceptable additions to your drink. This delightful custom of the Swedish people has taught me to always have a dedicated pause in the day, to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life.

Swedish people very much encourage a healthy separation between professional and personal life

2. Connection to nature
The Swedes’ profound respect for nature is truly admirable. Though the weather here is very unpredictable, the Swedish people love spending time outdoors. ‘Allemansrätten’ or ‘The Right of Public Access’, allows anyone to roam freely in nature, as long as you leave things as they were. This was one of the first customs I was taught when arriving in Sweden. Whether hiking, camping or simply just interacting with nature, everyone is expected to respect the environment.

3. Work-life balance
One custom I am particularly appreciative of is the value of a strong work-life balance. Swedish people very much encourage a healthy separation between professional and personal life, offering long holiday periods and generous parental leave.

The Swedish approach emphasises the importance of flexible working hours to accommodate personal needs. It’s nice to see when I walk to and from my lectures how full the playgrounds are of children and their parents. Everyone just seems so present here. They recognise the value of providing individuals with control over their schedules which promotes overall satisfaction with and quality of life. The UK definitely needs to take note.

The collective commitment of its citizens is what makes everything work in this country

4. Sustainability and environmentalism
As you may already know, Sweden is one of the most progressive countries in the world when it comes to sustainability and environmentalism. We have six bins in our accommodation, yes, six. Paper, plastic, residual, organic waste, glass, metal – all must be sorted and separated accordingly. Though it’s difficult to get used to (especially coming from a UK accommodation that only had recycling and general waste), implementing this into your daily routine is vital.

Public transportation, cycling, and eco-friendly innovations are also widely embraced here in Sweden. The collective commitment of its citizens is what makes everything work in this country. Being deeply ingrained in Swedish society, this way of living should be a leading example of how societies can live in harmony with the planet. Again, UK, I hope you’re taking notes.

So, while I haven’t been here long, the Swedish way of life has truly changed me as a person. With their simple customs, respect for one another, and essential care for the planet, the Swedish have most definitely shown the rest of the world how to create a fulfilling, content, and forward-thinking society.