Image: Press

Wunderhorse’s ‘Midas’ proves that rock music is still alive

What began as a solo project for frontman Jacob Slater has now exploded into the gritty sophomore album, Midas, the latest release by rock band Wunderhorse.

Since the release of Cub in 2022, an album regarded as the solo work of Slater, the newly formed four-piece has earned opener slots for artists including Declan McKenna and Fontaines D.C., boosting their following as well as anticipation for their upcoming release.

One thing that the band proves from the second the listener presses play is that they have stayed true to themselves

Teasing the eponymous track on social media conjured noise from followers for the rock band to release the lead single, ‘Midas’, immediately. The band followed suit and ever since the excitement surrounding the album from new and longstanding fans alike has been rocketing.

One thing that the band proves from the second the listener presses play is that they have stayed true to themselves. Slater confesses to wanting to create an album that is not perfectly polished and each of the ten tracks possesses a rawness and a sense of grit that illustrates just that.

This ‘unfinished’ feel to the album is best encapsulated through ‘Rain’, with the roaring guitars accompanying Slater’s powerful vocals as he questions “Do you feel the rain?”. Similarly, ‘Emily’ continues this rough finish to the album, with crashing cymbals fading into the feedback from the guitars.

However, the album takes a turn in the middle with ‘Superman’. The stepping back of the guitar-driven melody line and the slowing of the tempo allow Slater’s vocals to move to the forefront of the track. The album’s sound mellows, but still in that unmistakably Wunderhorse way. Although it may be more stripped-back in comparison to the tracks that bookend it, ‘Superman’ still has not lost its ‘raw appeal’, encompassed in the longing in Slater’s voice as he bellows “Superman”.

With the release of Midas, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wunderhorse moving up the festival lineup

‘Girl’ continues Slater’s bleak but observant lyricism, with a strong sense of yearning penetrating the track as he shouts out “How I long to touch you / how I long to hold you”. Meanwhile, the repetition of “Where do you go to my love / where do you go to my love” in ‘Arizona’ and the closing lines of ‘Silver’, “It’s only a story / it’s only a story”, are perfect for any festival crowd to shout back. With the release of Midas, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wunderhorse moving up the festival lineup.

Although Slater’s lyricism and vocals really shine through in Midas, guitarist Harry Fowler and drummer Jamie Staples also have their time in the spotlight throughout the album, with ‘Arizona’ and ‘Silver’ proving just that.

The closing song takes an unexpected turn. While it may be thought that the rock band would finish the way that they started, with a cacophony of crashing cymbals and electric guitars, instead the tone shifts, accompanied by an acoustic guitar and a steady drum beat. Although it contrasts the busyness of the previous nine tracks, ‘Aeroplane’ serves as the perfect ending to wrap up Wunderhorse’s sophomore album, as well as proving that the band are not shying away from mixing up their sound. The closing electric guitar riffs feel almost cinematic as the album fades to a close.

Midas is a testament as to why the band have garnered such praise since the release of Cub back in 2022. Each of the ten tracks plays to the band’s strengths and, although the album is cohesive, each track brings something new to the table. With the band billed to be the next big thing in guitar music, paired with an ever-growing fanbase, Wunderhorse are only getting started.

★★★★

Recommended Listening: ‘Girl’, ‘Aeroplane’

Listen to Midas here: