Image: Hannah Colechin

Witness for the Prosecution: Courtroom drama at its finest

Based on Agatha Christie’s short story, and later adaptation into a celebrated play, Witness for the Prosecution brings to life the intricate twists and turns of a legal battle where nothing is as it seems. Performed inside the magnificent surroundings of the London County Hall, the play follows Leonard Vole, a young man accused of murdering a widow to inherit her wealth. In order to walk free, he must prove his innocence to the jury, who just so happen to be members of the audience.

In the gallery, I had full view of the courtroom, overlooking the main audience and stage

London County Hall was the perfect location for this play. Designed by architect Ralph Knott, the County Hall was officially opened by King George V and Queen Mary on 17 July 1922 after construction began prior to the First World War in 1911. For 64 years, County Hall served as the headquarters for the local government in London, initially the London County Council and later the Greater London Council. The octagonal Council Chamber sits at the centre of County Hall, and provided seating for over 200 council members, with four galleries overlooking the Chamber for the public and members of the press.

London County Hall became a unique setting for Witness for the Prosecution due to its historical significance, and its transformation into a theatre space. The venue, with its grand architecture and historical ambiance, added an extra layer of drama to the performances of Christie’s classic work.

I booked tickets in the gallery and was completely stunned when I took my seat. I had full view of the courtroom, overlooking the main audience and stage. The first aspect of the venue that caught my attention was the absence of a backstage. Being initially used as a courtroom, London County Hall is not built to accommodate actors. Therefore, both audience and actors shared the same entrance, through the main doors into the hall. The lawyers, judge, witnesses and accused all entered and exited through the audience. I thought this brought an interesting dimension to the play, using the venue’s distinct atmosphere to enhance the suspense and drama of the courtroom setting.

My seat had me gripped and immersed.

The next aspect of the venue I noticed was the jury. When booking the show, you are given the opportunity to become part of the jury (for a much higher price). Whilst being quite expensive, the experience looked very immersive. Those who had booked the jury seats had to be sworn in before the play and were given notebooks to write down their thoughts and ideas. Throughout the play, characters were called to the witness box and were required to talk directly to the jury, including the accused man, Leonard Vole. Once we had heard from all the witnesses, and had seen all the evidence, the jury themselves had to decide whether the man was guilty or not guilty. While my seat in the gallery had me gripped and immersed, I couldn’t imagine how tense it was down in that jury box.

The drama of the courtroom unfolded in a way that kept me guessing until the very end.

The actors were truly convincing. The play features a range of complex characters, each with their own motives and secrets. This depth adds layers to the story, making it not just a mystery, but also a study of human nature and deceit. Leonard Vole was a standout character to me, having to literally fight for his life in the courtroom. It was impressive to see him go through so many emotions, as evidence was revealed and witnesses gave their statements. His performance was outstanding.

Remember, this is Agatha Christie we’re talking about, so you can most definitely expect a cleverly constructed plot with numerous twists and turns. The drama of the courtroom unfolded in a way that kept me guessing until the very end, maintaining suspense and engagement throughout. Covering themes of guilt, innocence, and deception, Witness for the Prosecution is a compelling and enduring piece of theatre which has captivated audiences across generations. I could not recommend it more.

• This sounds like such a great experience! I have always been a fan of Agatha Christie’s books, so seeing her work on the stage must have been mesmerising! 🙂