Image: The Parsnipship

Student vote for full transition to plant-based catering at University rejected by SU

Warwick Students’ Union (SU) has announced it will no longer be implementing a fully plant-based catering service by 2027.

This is despite the passing of a motion in autumn last year that propels SU outlets to provide 100% plant-based food and drink options by the start of the 2027/2028 academic year.

In a statement published on 5 August, the SU explained that the decision, which was made by the Board of Trustees, took place after “careful consideration of the practical and financial challenges” associated with such a “significant” transition.

The statement emphasised the need to be “financially sustainable and considerate of the diverse needs of our student community.”

Our operations staff are actively working with campaigners to improve the quantity and quality of our plant-based options while keeping them affordable

Vaishnavi Ravi, Plant-Based Universities campaign leader

Vaishnavi Ravi, who led the Plant-Based Universities (PBU) campaign from within the SU officer team, told The Boar that: “Due to financial constraints, the Board of Trustees were unfortunately unable to ratify a resolve of the PBU motion (seeking a complete transition to plant-based foods in our outlets by 2028).

However, recognizing the urgency of the climate crisis, the SU fully supports the PBU campaign and is committed to expanding our plant-based offerings.

“Currently, over 50% of our menus are plant-based, and our operations staff are actively working with campaigners to improve the quantity and quality of our plant-based options while keeping them affordable.

I look forward to seeing more transparency and regular communication between the SU and the student body to drive more sustainable practices.

The original motion was the most contested of the autumn All Student Vote, with 52% of the 1,472 students who voted supporting the transition to fully plant-based catering. After it passed, the SU noted that UK universities have a “responsibility” to act on the climate research they are leading and that the effects of climate change, if left unchallenged, would be “catastrophic”.

We are surprised and disappointed that the Board of Trustees of the Students’ Union decided not to ratify certain clauses of our motion, despite the SU’s democratic mandate from our student body

Vivek Venkatram, Coordinator of Plant-Based Universities Warwick

Vivek Venkatram, Coordinator of Plant-Based Universities Warwick, expressed both disappointment and determination in response to the decision.

He told The Boar: “We welcome the SU’s steadfast support for the Plant-Based Universities Warwick campaign and its commitment to meaningful changes in plant-based catering.

“However, we are surprised and disappointed that the Board of Trustees of the Students’ Union decided not to ratify certain clauses of our motion, despite the SU’s democratic mandate from our student body.” 

The decision has sparked criticism over the SU’s governance structure. James Varney, this year’s Environment and Ethics Officer at the SU said: “Whilst progress on this motion is welcome, this speaks to a wider systematic problem within the SU. Motions are taking an entire academic year to be publicly responded to, with Trustees leaving students in limbo.

This is a transition for the students and by the students; hence, it is crucial that it happens in a way that benefits all students

“This has happened not only with PBU, but also Trustees stifling student voice with little accountability over motions regarding Palestine, Islamophobia, and more.”

Venkatram, who campaigned heavily for the original motion, reaffirmed his optimism over the future of the campaign: “This is a transition for the students and by the students; hence, it is crucial that it happens in a way that benefits all students,

“In the coming months, we seek frequent reciprocal communication from the SU through a termly town hall meeting – open to all students and SU staff – to transparently discuss the implementation of Plant-Based Universities Warwick.

He added that Plant-Based Universities Warwick will work with SU staff to align views over timelines and percentages for plant-based provision at the University, before saying: “We look forward to connecting the SU Operations staff with resources from the global Plant-Based Universities movement – including Forward Food’s culinary experts and food suppliers who have already expressed their interest.”