Image: Ronald Woan via Flickr

Pop stars reign supreme this summer, as movie stars lose their cinematic spotlight

In an era where celebrity influence is huge in every aspect of daily life, especially with the rise of social media, the influence of pop stars has overtaken that of movie stars. Whilst fans and families alike are willing to fork out hundreds of pounds to experience the artistry of Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour or take part in the activities of a Charli XCX-inspired ‘brat girl summer’, the box office is retracting, with films starring your favourite actors struggling to break even. But why is this happening? After the success of ‘Barbenheimer’ summer, the forecast seemed to predict a long-term resuscitation of the box office, however, The Fall Guy, starring Barbie heartthrob Ryan Gosling, has been a recent victim of a shocking box office flop. In contrast, your favourite pop stars can fill tens of thousands of seats worldwide in the space of minutes.

There is something so special, and unmissable, about seeing an artist perform live in concert

The aspect of touring and concerts is surely the main reason your favourite pop stars have catapulted themselves into the heart of everyday culture. There is something so special, and unmissable, about seeing an artist perform live in concert. Although concert tickets are not modestly priced, with myself recently gobsmacked by the inflated prices for Sabrina Carpenter’s Short ‘N Sweet tour, they still sell out regardless. As regarded by Kimberley Bond, being a serious pop star supporter is a ‘costly hobby these days’, however, the once-in-a-lifetime factor of concerts makes all the money feel worth it. Pop stars benefit from seeing their fans in the flesh, as well as fans truly acknowledging that the most popular celebrities are real human beings. This phenomenon is where I think fans struggle to connect with movie stars, who have to deal with the barrier of the big screen. In a time where digital streaming platforms outweigh the benefits of going to the cinema, the idea of celebration with the release of a new film, and the actors involved, does not seem to exist anymore. I rarely hear my friends raving about the recent films they have seen at the cinema, but almost always they will tell me about their favourite pop song which has been on repeat for the past week. 

In contrast to the verging on extortionate prices of concert tickets, the influence of pop stars on fashion trends has benefitted their appeal to a wider audience, with outfits often being easily recreated at a more affordable cost. There is something so special about the Taylor Swift friendship bracelet trend, which was used as a way to connect with other Swifties, as well as show love for Swift herself. As a result, in the words of Cosmopolitan, Swift has made ‘friendship bracelets cool again’, becoming a hot new trend this summer. In a messier way, Charli XCX’s ‘brat girl summer’ has proposed that girls should reject the aspirational ‘clean-girl’ aesthetic for a ‘strappy white top with no bra’ and cigarettes, pioneering for girls to express self-love and more ambitious, ‘sultry style choices’. In recent history, I cannot think of pop stars having such a monumental effect on fashion and culture: even Presidential nominee Kamala Harris is embracing ‘brat girl summer’. Additionally, your favourite pop stars are making a scene at the Olympics, with Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga, and Snoop Dogg all exhibiting their classic style, and encouragement for live sports. 

I think it will take a lot of effort for movie stars to find equal fame and fan support in this day and age

However, maybe the rise of pop stars is a response to the void created by the lack of particularly good film releases recently. I’ll be honest, some decent films have been released, but have they realistically been popular? Actors such as Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya, whilst being the leading actors in the likes of Challengers, Wonka, and the Dune franchise, have only gained such immense box office sales from their already solid popularity status. I can imagine it being incredibly difficult for a newcomer actor to become as successful as a pop star in this day and age. A pop star’s album has the benefit of being listened to in the space of forty minutes or so, whereas watching a movie is a relatively lengthy investment of time. 

I’ll be honest, the pop star universe we are living in really excites me. I love seeing concerts being so popular, and so many musical talents finding fame. However, I think it will take a lot of effort for movie stars to find equal fame and fan support in this day and age. But who knows, maybe 2025 will see a ‘film girl summer’, and the box office beat the music charts in the ongoing battle for pop culture popularity.