image: unsplash

Judging by the Cover: David Pearson’s Approach to Book Design

Comma Press’s Publishing Insight Day comprised a breakdown of the industry of publishing. The day featured panel discussions surrounding the publishing industry’s growing presence in the north of the UK, along with a breakdown of various publishing sectors, including editorial, publicity, and sales. The segment that inspired me the most was ‘Intro to Book Design’ by David Pearson.

Pearson specialises in print-based design, with typography as his principal form of expression. Over his illustrious career, he has been commissioned by The New York Times and Penguin Books, among others.

“the redesigned covers for Penguin Classics, have left an indelible mark on the publishing world, blending tradition with modernity”

Some of his most memorable works, such as the redesigned covers for Penguin Classics, have left an indelible mark on the publishing world, blending tradition with modernity.

In his talk, Pearson broke down his creative process and emphasised the importance of simplicity in design. Pearson views creativity as “managing variables.” Through this almost mathematical approach, he brings his design to life.

He mentions how his use of colour and shape is centred around capturing the viewer’s eye.

“In a world where people claim to not ‘judge a book by its cover’, Pearson strives to do the opposite, creating a visual narrative within his design”

In a world where people claim to not ‘judge a book by its cover’, Pearson strives to do the opposite, creating a visual narrative within his design. His philosophy reflects a harmonious understanding of form and function, making each design not just aesthetically pleasing but also meaningful. As a bookseller, I have personally enjoyed and sold a variety of books designed by Pearson. Speaking to him separately, he expressed that it is “you booksellers who bring success to our visions”.

He mentions the rise of trends driven by social media, particularly noting that Instagram and TikTok have significantly impacted the perception of cover design.

“Cover reveals now carry as much importance as the publicity and marketing of a book”

Cover reveals now carry as much importance as the publicity and marketing of a book. This shift in the last two decades underscores the evolving role of design in a digital age, where visual appeal can drive a book’s success long before it reaches store shelves.  Pearson’s reflections cemented the idea that trends may come and go; however, the core elements of good design – thoughtfulness, coherence, and an ability to convey a story – remain timeless.

He concluded his talk with: “Someone once said to me, ‘When a book comes around, and you already designed the cover for it once, that’s when you should retire. But I must have designed 30 covers for Karl Marx alone, so I think I’m beyond that now.”

Pearson now has 18 years of cover design experience behind him, and a successful solo practice titled ‘Type As Image’.