Picnic/ Image: Evangelina Silina/ Unsplash
Image: Evangelina Silina/ Unsplash

The ultimate guide to picnicking

There is truly no better way to embrace the sunshine and spend time with friends or family this July than hosting a picnic, especially given that July is national picnic month. The act of picnicking combines spending time in fresh air, enjoying different types of food and drink, and bringing people together. It is not only a cost-effective way of dining with friends, but also a fun alternative to a formal dinner. I am going to delve into the history of the picnic, why it is so popular today, and recommend some picnic must-haves for this summer.

Austen’s literature and Monet’s artwork represented picnics as a natural simplicity and an idyllic social event

It is speculated the word itself derives from the French piquer (to pick) and nique (a small amount) and has since been a common term in the English language associated with dining outside. Food historians tell us that the earliest form of picnics were medieval hunting feasts: “The feast before the chase assumed a special importance”. Picnics then developed throughout the years, particularly in the Victorian era, where they became associated with all classes and even entered literary and art spaces. In particular, Austen’s literature and Monet’s artwork represented picnics as a natural simplicity and an idyllic social event. It is no surprise picnics have such positive connotations and are still very present in society today.

So, now that we have covered the interesting history of the picnic, what does a modern-day picnic consist of? Picnics in the last few years have become even more popular due to the effects of Covid and social media, with searches for picnic ideas growing by 385% on Pinterest in 2022. Picnics now include aesthetic setups, a mouth-watering selection of food, and other activities, such as games or sports, making them a truly unmissable summer event.

Luckily, picnics generally require low levels of planning. The first important thing to consider is the location of your picnic. This could range from your local park, a hillside, or a coastal area. The National Trust also have an online search engine which finds places to picnic near you if you are struggling for ideas. Of course, even more importantly, the weather is a massive factor to consider when planning your picnic. Especially considering the changeable nature of UK weather so make sure to plan and look at the weather ahead.

I can’t have a picnic without strawberries, homemade sandwiches and salads, and some good wine on the side

Next, think about who you want to invite. I would suggest a smaller group of people always works best for a picnic. This way, you can all agree on what everyone is going to bring so everyone gets a chance to contribute.

This brings us to the most exciting part of a picnic: the food. From sandwiches and nibbles to drinks and sweet treats, the options are endless to create your own picnic banquet. You can have a mix of homemade food to bring along whilst also obtaining some of your favourite snacks from your local shop. Ensure that you cater to any dietary requirements of your fellow picnic guests, and you really can’t go wrong. For the drinks, you can bring a variety of juices, fizzy drinks, and alcoholic drinks to enjoy alongside your food. Personally, I can’t have a picnic without strawberries, homemade sandwiches and salads, and some good wine on the side.

Aside from the food, it can be easy to forget the other essentials that create a picnic. Make sure you bring along a blanket to sit on and a cute basket or tote bag to bring your food in. I also like to make sure I bring a ball, some board games, and music for some entertainment after the food.

To elevate your picnic, here are some extra things to add. Adhering to a theme or celebrating an occasion can enhance your picnic even further and can look like a Pinterest board come to life. I think bringing along homemade foods adds a uniqueness to your picnic and it is a nice idea to try everyone’s recipes. The timing of your picnic is also important; I like to try and plan it for the late afternoon so that you can sit and watch the sunset. There are so many things you can do to really make it your own. So, grab your blanket and food basket, and head outside to enjoy a picnic this July!