Image: Wikimedia Commons

Southgate steps down: looking back at his time managing England

The England Men’s Team have not won a trophy since 1966. For all of his man management, positive energy, and shielding of players, Gareth Southgate has failed to end the trophy drought and has resigned from his post as the England Manager. It comes after England’s 2-1 defeat to Spain at Sunday’s EURO 2024 final – the second time in a row the Three Lions have lost at that stage
of the tournament.

It would be remiss not to thank Southgate for what he has achieved, taking England to back-to-back European Championship finals, however with the group of players he has coached and developed, it would be fair to say that criticism is merited. Let us take a look back at the now-former manager’s eight-year stint at the helm of England.

Southgate’s journey with the men’s senior team began in November 2016, signing a four-year deal to oversee the team for two tournaments. His first tournament, the 2018 World Cup in Russia saw Southgate guide the Three Lions to their first World Cup semi-final since 1990. However, despite a team of talented youth and veteran experience, not to mention that infamous waistcoat, Southgate failed to win the tournament, losing out in the semis to Croatia.

Whilst Southgate did manage to protect his players and foster a good media relationship, he was, many felt, over-reliant on certain players

Second on the list of campaigns was Euro 2020, where England entered the tournament with a squad filled with talent, buoyed with the expectation of victory. England topped their group, defeated rivals Germany 2-0 in a classic England performance, and went on to beat Ukraine and then Denmark. All appeared hopeful in the final, after a strike by defender Luke Shaw put England up 1-0 against Italy, but after a concession to the Azzurri, England went on to lose the tournament on penalties.

After this, criticism began to grow as many thought they were beginning to see the flaws within Southgate’s management style. Whilst Southgate did manage to protect his players and foster a good media relationship, he was, many felt, over-reliant on certain players, often opting to keep underperforming players on the pitch for longer than many other managers might have. This trend unfortunately continued into Qatar 2022.

Of course Southgate must be applauded for taking England further than any other manager since Sir Alf Ramsey, however, it would be fair to say that this past Euros is symbolic of Southgate’s tenure

Southgate had clearly impressed the FA though, earning himself another contract, this time until December 2024, and with expectations of World Cup domination, once again, England fans got behind the squad. Another win in their group saw the Three Lions beat Senegal 3-0, advancing to the quarterfinals. Here is where things began to come unstuck for the squad, and their manager.

A 2-1 defeat to Deschamps’ France, led Southgate to briefly question his future as manager, however, the FA later confirmed he’d see his contract out.

For many, this Euros was Southgate’s last chance. Of course, Southgate must be applauded for taking England further than any other manager since Sir Alf Ramsey, however, it would be fair to say that this past Euros is symbolic of Southgate’s tenure; overreliance on key players, forcing players out of position, only making changes when its too late, attempts to hold one goal leads, and much more.

Gareth Southgate, for creating the hope to win, we thank you

If we should credit Gareth Southgate for one thing, it should be this: he established an environment to win, with a positive, progressive outlook. Sadly his tactical decisions failed to match this. Now, it must fall to another coach to see if they can finally end the trophy drought. Gareth Southgate, for creating the hope to win, we thank you.