Photo: Unseen Studio [Unsplash]

Rejecting writer’s block: rediscovering your writing passion this summer

There is a sense of irony about writing whilst talking about writer’s block. But this frustrating struggle has been bothering me all throughout the summer months. Whether it’s a sense of burnout after exam season, or just the warm heat getting to my head, writing can be tough during such a long break. Every budding writer has experienced it, so where does it originate, and how do you get over this tendency found in every creative person?

Anyone who finds joy in writing finds that their words often don’t fit the perfectness of what is in front of them, and it is hard to accept that that is okay

The phenomenon of writer’s block is defined as the “temporary or lasting failure to put words on paper”, often provoked by worry, academic fatigue, or just the fear that your writing will not be good enough. Due to the fact that writing is such a creative process, relying on flow, passion, and courage, the inability to complete such a task is frustrating for the sufferer. Even successful authors, such as the Franz Kafka, have personal accounts of their frustration, with words in his letters poignantly phrasing that his personal worries and woes led to his despair and battle with creativity.

The antidote for writer’s block is often quite, dare I say, trivial. Many articles have told me to go on a walk, or remove distractions, and whilst I cannot deny this works to an extent, it will not hit the nail on the head. Returning to “the roll, the rise, the carol, the creation”, perhaps pretentiously put by Gerard Manley Hopkins, feels like it comes from within. The art of putting pen to paper is a personal thing, and overcoming that is tough.

When you see something in public that inspires you to write, whether it be a lovely scene, a family story, or even a news article that provokes a feeling of passion, whilst you want all your words to come out perfectly, it can feel impossible to get things right. Anyone who finds joy in writing finds that their words often don’t fit the perfectness of what is in front of them, and it is hard to accept that that is okay. Everyone’s opinions hold value, and your personal voice is special and individual to you, requiring courage to run with. Becoming a writer is a challenging task that requires practice, but that practice comes from the actual process, rather than worrying about if your writing is not good enough. 

There is a sense of freedom now that we are away from the constraints of university writing, which often relies on facts and mark schemes rather than creativity

Whilst I don’t consider myself a writing oracle, I have experienced a lot of writer’s block, and I hope to use my experience to give you a boost when returning to writing over the summer months. My personal advice is to forget your studies. There is a sense of freedom now that we are away from the constraints of university writing, which often relies on facts and mark schemes rather than creativity. Being a history student, I often find my writing feels very linear, aiming to get from introduction to conclusion by following the same format that has been ingrained in my mind for many years. My inspiration often fell flat with the pressure of deadlines, exams, and the need to use certain source material to the best of my ability.

I have often found summer to be a scary gap of time, with the lack of structure making my mind wander off, but maybe it’s time to embrace that and try something new

However, especially as the weather gets warmer, there is so much to find inspiration from. Whilst this wealth of free time feels scary, the weather outside is not. There is something so calming about going outside and putting your creativity to the test. In the past I have often found summer to be a scary gap of time, with the lack of structure making my mind wander off, but maybe it’s time to embrace that and try something new. If you have never written a story, write one reminiscing on the past year of hard work, or perhaps write a poem about the beautiful nature outside. 

What makes writing so tough is the breadth of things to talk about, and whilst that is daunting, it is also rewarding. And by me, putting pen to paper (or more realistically, my fingers to my keyboard), I have managed to get out of my writing slump and write something new. Use this summer as time for yourself, but also for your creativity, and try your hardest to keep your writing flair alive!