Credit: European Parliament

Reform UK is building a unique coalition of voters, not just displeased Conservatives, but many of the old left and the disenfranchised too. 

When many talk about Nigel Farage’s Reform UK, they frequently explore how these parties are taking votes from the traditional right-wing of European politics. However, there is one thing all commentators miss (that Farage himself recently pointed out): how popular these “New Right” parties are for those on the traditional “Old Left” and disenfranchised voters more widely. So, whilst these parties are drawing key support from the traditional right-wing, they will also be drawing support from the Old Left. Let’s discuss this in a bit more depth. 

Traditionally, the Labour Party of the 1960s and ’70s sought to reduce the tax burden on working people by lifting many out of it. So it appears fairly progressive of Reform UK to promise to lift 7.5 million out of paying tax by raising the threshold for income tax to £20,000. Such a promise wouldn’t appear out of place within a Labour manifesto of the days of Wilson and Callaghan. Farage has made these promises to exploit the economic insecurity many Britons face. Reform UK has also used the notion of  “little men and women”, meaning the threats faced by small businesses.  

Farage has made these promises to exploit the economic insecurity many Britons face

I fear that many associate being a small business owner with being in favour of the free market and thus by association a supporter of the current economic model. However, for millions, being a small business owner isn’t some ideological pursuit, but rather it is a necessity or a choice. In this sense, the policies of this new right-wing project offer some appeal, in lifting the VAT threshold and reducing corporation tax for small businesses. This is by no means an appeal to the mega-rich, but in reality a set of policies intended to win over people working day and night without a regular salary. These policies in theory appeal to the Old Left, those who combined collective identity with a notion of prosperity. I feel many fall into the trap of associating prosperity with a neoliberal market model, because for many of the old left, they did believe in hard work to achieve prosperity and security. 

In addition to the economic side comes what I’ve already hinted at – the notion of a collective identity. All of the new far-right parties are based on the idea of ‘reclaiming’ a ‘lost’ identity. Figures like Farage and others claim their respective nations have lost something, and thus it is incumbent upon them to preserve and rebuild it. For this new political movement, it comes down to a notion of solidarity, a collective identity and mentality. However, this notion of solidarity appears more in tune with the Old Left’s messaging; so why are this new grouping using it? And more importantly, why aren’t the ‘Old Right’ following suit?  

I think the reason is clear and obvious: it’s about presentability. Farage has embraced the support of those traditionally ignored within mainstream politics, those who are either disengaged, disenfranchised, or merely disinterested in politics. He has centred his campaign around this support. Whether you agree with it or not, many of these people believe Farage, seeing him as necessary for a ‘shake-up’ of politics. In a political arena bombarded with misinformation and a lack of trust, a recent poll has found that out of the main four parties, only Reform UK has a majority of people believing they are being genuine about their social attitudes. This should be a stark warning to the major consensus parties if they want to survive. If they ignore Reform UK and Nigel Farage, we could see the beginning of a political movement that could go far beyond the political upheaval against established beliefs that was brought about by Brexit.  

All of the new far-right parties are based on the idea of ‘reclaiming’ a ‘lost’ identity

Farage is right when he says something is happening in politics. Something is changing, and even I, someone who could never vote for Nigel Farage, can see that. The Conservative Party, despite being the oldest party in the world, is in its last stages, as too is the Labour Party. At their cores, they both represent the same failed consensus of the past three decades. I am certainly not Nigel Farage’s biggest fan, but if I can credit him for something, he is doing something that both the Conservatives, and arguably more so Labour, have failed to do for decades. They are seeking to appeal to and win votes from those taken for granted – the disenfranchised and those left behind. For the Labour Party to remain relevant and secure its long-term security, it must seek to appeal to the disenfranchised, winning them over with serious policies, and offer a genuine alternative, instead of just crossing their fingers and hoping utter disdain for the Conservatives will deliver them victory. Whilst opposition to the current government might deliver Starmer the largest Labour majority ever, this won’t last for long, and as soon as you know it, the likes of Farage will be there to pick up the votes of those once again let down by a flawed system, currently being sponsored by the two main parties.