Eggs Benedict/ Image: Ryan ‘O’ Neil/ Unsplash
Image: Ryan ‘O’ Neil/ Unsplash

Rapid Review: Fat Birds Cafe in Leamington

Leamington’s wealth of restaurants, cafes, and eateries can often mean we miss the smaller and tucked-away gems of the town. For a filling and delicious start to the day, I recommend Fat Birds Cafe on Warwick Street. As a friend and I popped in for a pre-lecture brunch, the cafe proved to be the perfectly quaint place for a vegan and non-vegan duo to catch up over some very good food. We started with iced lattes to drink before scanning the extensive breakfast menu.

Both of our portion sizes were generous, and we were not left hungry

There were many fun and unique breakfast options, with the most intriguing being the topped crumpets. There were also many bagels and butty flavours to try. I was very pleased to discover a vegan section of the menu and decided to try the Vegan Garden – this was a full vegan breakfast with hash browns, sausages, beans, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, and toast.

My friend went for a classic eggs Benedict – a true brunch necessity. Both of our portion sizes were generous, and we were not left hungry, and neither dish was short of flavour. I always appreciate it when a full vegan breakfast includes an egg substitute – although mine didn’t have this, there are scrambled tofu options on other menu items so I am sure I could have asked for this as an extra had I wanted to.

The eatery is also a reminder to pay attention to the more hidden establishments

Fat Birds Cafe has a sweet interior with crafts on sale and art on the walls. It is cosy and a perfect pace for two friends to have a quiet conversation tucked away from the hustle and bustle of uni-life. Whilst you can visit with a larger group of friends, I would recommend booking as it is not a large cafe. On my next trip, I plan to try one of the many cakes or pastries they have on display, and I of course have further plans to venture onto the lunch menu.

When friends visit me at university this year, I will definitely be bringing them to Fat Birds Cafe. The eatery is also a reminder to pay attention to the more hidden establishments, and it pays off to stray from the beaten path. Ten out of ten from me.