Image: Flickr / Chemist4U

Ozempic abuse sending young women to hospital, amid ‘beach body’ craze

Experts have warned of life-threatening risks from abusing the weight-loss drug Ozempic, as concerns grow over their role in encouraging ‘beach body’ trends among young women.

The accessibility of weight-loss drug semaglutide, more commonly known by the brand name Ozempic, is causing concern among medical professionals.

They report a high volume of young girls in emergency care experiencing life-threatening complications from overuse of the drug.

Semaglutide is used by the NHS to treat patients with type 2 diabetes or obesity. It suppresses the patient’s appetite and makes them feel full, providing rapid weight loss results.

They are absolutely not quick fixes for those who are otherwise healthy, who just want to lose a few pounds

Prof. Steven Powis, Director, NHS England

The drug has been popularised in recent months due to its use by celebrities, including Oprah Winfrey and Rebel Wilson.

However, Professor Steven Powis, National Director of NHS England, has warned against the drug’s misuse as a “quick fix to get ‘beach body ready’”.

Speaking to an NHS conference, he urged: “These are powerful medications that have side-effects and complications – and can, in certain circumstances, be dangerous.

“So, they need to be used under medical supervision. They are absolutely not quick fixes for those who are otherwise healthy, who just want to lose a few pounds.”

Experts have warned that misuse of weight-loss drugs can lead to all kinds of dangerous consequences, including kidney failure and gallbladder problems.

They note that many of those seeking out the drug are suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphia, rather than genuine problems with their weight.

There are further concerns that the online assessment system used to sell drugs by high-street chemists such as Boots and Superdrug has proven easy to abuse, as many women lie about their weight or use old or edited photos to qualify themselves for an Ozempic prescription.

A spokesperson for Boots defended the system, explaining: “Patients are required to submit a photo of themselves and ID document for verification, and must also answer questions on their medical and psychological history.”

It feels like the thinness of the ‘80s and ‘90s has been repackaged for today’s social media era

Le’Nise Brothers, nutritionist

As well as being physically dangerous, weight loss drugs are exacerbating people’s psychological distress by providing unrealistic and unsustainable results.

Le’Nise Brothers, a nutritionist, told The Independent that she blames the internet for women’s unwavering focus on their appearance.

She elaborated: “It feels like the thinness of the ‘80s and ‘90s has been repackaged for today’s social media era.”

This sentiment was reinforced by Dr Mitra Dutt, of LloydsPharmacy Online, who emphasised the importance of seeking a “reputable provider” of Ozempic who would carry out all the necessary “BMI checks and medical history assessments”.