Image: Flickr

New beginnings at Paris 2024: Breakdancing and kayak cross make their Olympic debuts

The Olympics is rooted in tradition and heritage, however since the first modern summer games were held in Athens back in 1896, some changes have taken place to the line-up of sports. Tug of war, cricket, and lacrosse have all disappeared from the games’ roster over the years, but others, including athletics, cycling, and swimming, have stood the test of time.

This year it’s out with the old and in with the new, as organisers of the 2024 Games strive to attract a younger audience to the Olympics, which will be held later this month for the 33rd time.

Breaking and Kayak Cross will make their Olympic debuts in Paris, replacing baseball, softball, and karate. This follows the introduction of sport climbing, surfing, and skateboarding – which all remain as events this year – at the Tokyo Games three years ago.

The inclusion of new events shows increasing efforts by Olympic bosses to reflect the “urbanisation of sport”, and to strengthen and increase the games’ presence among youths.

It is somewhat unsurprising that an event on as large of a scale as the Olympics seeks to modernise and promote a changing sporting landscape

It is somewhat unsurprising that an event on as large of a scale as the Olympics seeks to modernise and promote a changing sporting landscape. The Olympics is a platform on which a number of sports, some not often talked about by the general spectator outside of the games, can be championed and furthered.

Take skateboarding, for example. Though a pastime enjoyed by many young (and young-at-heart) people, it was perhaps not seen by many as a competitive sport before its debut at the Tokyo Games. Now, inspired by the likes of Sky Brown – who, at the age of 13, became the youngest ever Brit to win an Olympic medal – interest has soared in the sport, with searches for skateparks increasing by 200% following the delayed 2020 Games. Fans of breaking and kayak cross will be hoping that the Paris games will have the same impact on their sport.

Breaking, more commonly known as breakdancing, was met with mixed reactions when it was announced to be debuting at the Olympics. While critics branded its inclusion “stupidly ridiculous”, supporters said that it will increase “recognition” and attract “unprecedented interest” for the sport, which already has one million participants worldwide. The sport’s inclusion in the 2018 Youth Olympics was widely viewed as a success, marking the first time that dance had been included as an Olympic sport.

Originating in the United States in the 1970s, breaking is an urban dance style where competitors perform a range of acrobatic moves including windmills, top rocks and freezes.

When breakdancing hits the Olympics, competitors will go head-to-head in ‘solo battles’ where they will improvise a routine to the beat of the music, selected by a DJ

When the sport hits the Olympics, competitors will go head-to-head in ‘solo battles’ where they will improvise a routine to the beat of the music, selected by a DJ. Each battle comprises three rounds, with two rounds needed to take an overall win.

Judges will mark competitors, known as ‘B-Boys’ and ‘B-Girls’, on their technique, execution, musicality, originality, and vocabulary (the variety of moves included in their routine). The winner of each round will be the dancer who has the highest average score based on the five criteria.

32 B-Boys and B-Girls will compete in the sport at the Games, with the event taking place in the Place de la Concorde public square in the heart of the French capital. The sport will be split into two events, with the women’s event taking place on 9 August, before the men’s event a day later, on 10 August. In the women’s competition, Lithuania’s Dominika Banevič is a hot favourite. At just 16 years old, age is no barrier for the young B-Girl, who already holds both the European and world titles.

Victor Montalvo of Team USA has been tipped as one of the favourites to win the men’s event, after becoming the first B-Boy to secure his place at the games. Montalvo, whose “goal is to win gold” at the Olympics, secured his place by winning the World Championships last year.

Despite receiving extra funding from UK Sport, Team GB won’t be playing a part in the breaking competition, after no British competitor successfully qualified for the event

Despite receiving extra funding from UK Sport, Team GB won’t be playing a part in the breaking competition, after no British competitor successfully qualified for the event.

While many looking for a new sport will turn to breaking, an expansion of the canoe slalom event will also bring a sense of freshness to the games. Kayak cross, which combines white-water disciplines, will see canoe slalom athletes race against each other for the first time.

Traditionally, competitors in canoe slalom race against the clock in the kayak singles and canoe singles events. However, in kayak cross, four athletes will race against each other at the same time, similar to sports like BMX racing and snowboard cross. Unlike the traditional event, athletes in canoe slalom take an ‘anything goes’ approach. Contact and ‘direct confrontation’ is permitted, as they take on a series of eight gates – six downstream and two upstream.

Breaking and kayak cross may be the new kids on the block in Paris, but some changes have also been made to other, more-seasoned sports

As well as the challenge of competing against each other, athletes also have the added pressure of the ‘Eskimo roll’, a move which requires athletes to complete a full 360-degree rotation in their kayak whilst in a designated ‘roll zone’ on the course. Three-time Olympic medallist Maialen Chourraut says the required move adds “an extra layer of difficulty” to the event. Competitors are also required to pass through every gate – missing even one would result in disqualification. Failure to complete the Eskimo roll, breaking the start line, or dangerous paddling will also result in disqualification, proving the high-stakes nature of the new event.

The format of kayak cross differs from other canoe slalom events, beginning with a time trial to determine which heats the athletes will take part in. From the heats, the top two athletes will qualify for the quarter-finals, with the process continuing up to the final. The kayak cross event will take place across three days, from 3 August to 5 August.

Unlike in breaking, Team GB have reason to be hopeful. Joe Clarke and Kimberley Woods are the current reigning world champions in kayak cross, with Clarke already having won Olympic gold in canoe slalom in 2016.

Breaking and kayak cross may be the new kids on the block in Paris, but some changes have also been made to other, more-seasoned sports. Men will be taking part in artistic swimming for the first time, as Olympic organisers strive to increase gender equality in the Games. The sport – which was previously known as synchronised swimming – will see up to two men compete in each team. Changes have also been made to weight classes in boxing and weightlifting, whilst a mixed relay marathon race walk is introduced to athletics. Sailing, shooting, and volleyball will also see minor changes.

The eyes of the sporting world will be on the two new sports as they seek to make an impact amongst the veteran sports on the Olympic timetable

Whilst fans of breaking hope its inclusion will increase its appeal to sports fans, there is no cause for too much celebration. Before the sport even hits the Olympic scene, Olympic bosses have confirmed that breaking will not feature at the 2028 Games, a decision which has been branded as “profoundly disappointing” by the World DanceSport Federation, which governs the sport. Squash, however, will make its debut in Los Angeles, a move which has been celebrated as a “transformational moment” by England Squash. This comes after criticism of squash’s exclusion from the Olympics this year, with three-time world squash champion Michelle Martin branding the decision a “mockery”. Flag football is also set to debut in 2028, with baseball/softball, cricket, and lacrosse due to return.

Only time will tell whether kayak cross will become a mainstay at the Olympics, or if breaking will make a triumphant return in 2032. Before then, the eyes of the sporting world will be on the two new sports as they seek to make an impact amongst the veteran sports on the Olympic timetable.