Image: Flickr

Leamington man, 111, credits long life to whiskey and “female company”

The world’s fourth-oldest living man, John Farringdon, has celebrated his 111th birthday at his care home, Cubbington Mill, in Leamington Spa.

Mr Farringdon, who is older than the invention of stainless steel, crosswords, and the Panama Canal, celebrated the big day with a glass of whiskey, an ABBA tribute band, and a lunchtime BBQ, as well as receiving visits from his family and local schoolchildren.

About the party, Mr Farringdon said: “I didn’t even know about this, I didn’t know what was going on out there.”

To mark the special occasion, staff at the care home sought to collect 111 birthday cards for Mr Farringdon with an appeal on social media. The care home staff said they smashed their target and were inundated with cards from the community.

A spokesperson said: “He will appreciate all the kindness shown.”

Laura Russell, Manager of Cubbington Mill, said Mr Farringdon had a “brilliant sense of humour”, and was “not scared at all to say what he thinks.” She added that “he’s having a wonderful time” at the party.

I’m 111 today, nobody believes it. I can’t see it makes much difference

John Farringdon, supercentenarian

Mr Farringdon attributed his longevity to a nightly glass of Grant’s whiskey, and a full English breakfast at his care home. The supercentarian also suggested that the secret to his long life was “all the female company that I’ve had.”

About his new age, he said: “I’m 111 today, nobody believes it. I can’t see it makes much difference, there’s not much difference between that and 110.”

Mr Farringdon was born in Enfield on 7 June, 1913, just one year prior to the outbreak of WWI, and during the reign of King George V. His first job, aged 16, was repairing typewriters. He then worked at car manufacturer Ford for 40 years in Essex, before moving to their foundry in Leamington Spa.

Mr Farringdon said his earliest memory was being turned down by the Air Force. “I wanted to be a Spitfire pilot. They turned me down on account of my deafness. I could have cried.” He later worked as a manufacturer of tank parts during the Second World War.

He added: “I do remember bits of the First World War too, all the zeppelins coming over. D-Day this week has been difficult to take in, you can’t believe it, wading through that channel to deliver us from the Nazis. I remember it well.”

Mr Farringdon is enthusiastic about motor vehicles and continued to drive until the age of 103. He also still follows politics, and met the Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak – the 23rd of his lifetime – in a visit to 10 Downing Street last year.

John survives his long-term partner Vera, the mother to his step-daughter Jennifer, who lives in Devon, and his wife Irene.

The oldest living man in the world is fellow Briton John Tinniswood, also 111, who obtained the record following the death of Venezuelan Juan Vicente Pérez, 114, on 2 April 2024.

On being the second-oldest Briton, Mr Farringdon observed: “I’m told I’m the second-oldest, and I think the oldest looks a bit younger than me actually.”