Image: The Boar

GE2024: Labour projected to win landslide majority

The Labour Party has won a landslide victory in the 2024 General Election according to exit poll figures, being projected to win 410 seats.

The result, which predicts the party will more than double its seat total in the House of Commons, would net Labour a majority of 170, nine less than its landslide victory in 1997, the last time Labour re-entered office.

The governing Conservative Party is projected to win just 131 seats, a loss of 234, in what would be the party’s worst performance in modern history.

The Conservatives appear projected to lose a huge number of seats to the Labour Party, but have also faced a significant blow at the hands of the Liberal Democrats, who with 61 seats are projected to enjoy their best result since 2005.

The Reform Party is also expected to seize votes at the Conservatives’ expense, and are predicted to gain 13 seats this election, surpassing many predictions.

The Green Party are also expected to gain a seat tonight, bringing their total number to two, but are projected to underperform expectations that the Party could have netted as many as four constituencies.

Our best days lie ahead of us

Bridget Phillipson MP, Shadow Education Secretary

The exit poll projects Labour will comfortably hold all its current seats in and surrounding the University of Warwick, including Coventry South, Coventry North West, and Warwick and Leamington. Kenilworth and Southam, previously a Conservative safe seat, is predicted to remain in Tory hands.

The Labour response has been predictably triumphant, with Bridget Phillipson, the newly-reelected MP for Houghton and Sunderland South, declaring that “our best days lie ahead of us”, at her own victory speech.

Phillipson, who as Shadow Education Secretary is widely expected to take up the position of Education Secretary if Labour enters government, vowed that Labour would be a government “of service”, and one “powered by hope”.

Another early result of the night saw the Conservative MP Robert Buckland lose his seat to Labour’s Heidi Alexander in Swindon South, the first Conservative casualty of the election.

In a sign of the potential recriminations that could follow the historic Conservative loss, the deposed MP ridiculed what he called the “performance-art politics” of some of his Tory colleagues.

Bemoaning his frustration at the “personal agendas and jockeying for position” of his fellow MPs in light of the predicted catastrophic results for the Conservative Party, Buckland compared their behaviour to “bald men arguing over a comb”.