Image: The Boar

BREAKING: University suspends Warwick Conservatives as backlash over ‘Nazi dance video’ grows

The Warwick Conservative Association has been suspended by the University Students’ Union (SU), pending an external investigation into allegations of antisemitism.

This comes after ‘leaked’ footage showed attendees of the society’s annual Chairman’s Dinner dancing to ‘Erika’, a WWII German marching song associated with the Nazi Party.

To ensure that the investigation is as robust as this issues deserves, we allow for up to 90 days to complete the investigation

University statement

In a statement, the University said: “In line with University policy, we have initiated an externally led investigation and will share the findings once they are available.

“To ensure that the investigation is as robust as this issue deserves, we allow for up to 90 days to complete the investigation.”

The University added that the society has been suspended by the SU whilst the investigation is underway.

Enaya Nihal, SU Vice-President for Welfare and Campaigns, added that the SU will seek to support students affected by the video.

Speaking to The Boar, Nihal said: “We are aware of the emotional and psychological impacts that the video has caused in our Jewish community, and we have been in regular contact with our Jewish Society on campus to offer support for those affected both prior to and post the publication of the video.

“We encourage anyone in need of support to reach out through the channels outlined in the statement.”

This is the most shocking incident in a long history of the embedded hatred within the society

Joint statement by ‘Disband The Tories’

Meanwhile, pressure against the society online has been building, with over 40 societies and SU student officers having signed an open letter calling for the SU to permanently ‘disband’ the Warwick Conservatives, in order to “take decisive action against the spread of fascism on campus”.

The joint post by ‘Disband The Tories’, shared on Instagram by societies including Warwick Labour, the Warwick Liberal Democrats, and Warwick PLAN, declares that the investigation into the Warwick Conservatives “will only be complete if it results in the disbandment of the society, and nothing short”.

The statement adds: “This is the most shocking incident in a long history of the embedded hatred within the society. The association has fostered a far-right culture which poses a threat to all students, especially Jewish students and students of other marginalised groups.”

Amidst the growing backlash, the Warwick Conservative Association has continued to vehemently deny claims of antisemitism in the society, arguing that the video, first published by The Sunday Times, does not suggest that the society “normalises racism” or is “toxic”. 

A statement published on 30 June pledged to cooperate fully with any investigation.

We are proud of [our] efforts and will continue to stand against discrimination

Warwick Conservative Association statement

In comments recorded by The Jewish Chronicle, the society stressed: “Our members have consistently campaigned against antisemitism on campus, including campaigning to disaffiliate Warwick Students’ Union from the National Union of Students over its failure to deal with antisemitism.

“Our members have also worked hard to ensure the Students’ Union commemorates Holocaust Memorial Day in a fitting way. We are proud of these efforts and will continue to stand against discrimination.” 

Despite this defence offered by the society, the University concluded its statement by warning: “Should appropriate action be necessary following the conclusion of the investigation, we will not hesitate to act.”

The Warwick Conservative Association were approached for comment.

• From watching the video they already know that they are doing something wrong and continuing it when they shouted ‘don’t film’. So a suspension seems appropriate. As a student at the University, I think the University should also actively seek an opinion from international students and staff members of German nationality about this incident, as well as people of groups/ethnicities that the Nazi regime would’ve persecuted at the time.