Hair in sun/ Image: Morgan Sessions/ Unsplash
Image: Morgan Sessions/ Unsplash

Beat the heat: hot hacks to protect your hair this summer

Summer has finally arrived (everywhere else apart from the UK), and that means it’s time to put away the umbrellas and whip out our beach bags. Who doesn’t love soaking up the sun or cooling off with a cheeky dip in the sea?

However, while we’re all well aware of the importance of SPF and staying hydrated, people often overlook the damage the sun can do to our hair. Whether it’s sunburnt scalps or ends determined to split, summer can truly wreak havoc on even the most perfect hair. But worry not, because here’s a list of top tricks and lifesaving finds to keep your hair happy and healthy this summer.

Both seawater and chlorine have been proven to dry out hair, causing weakness, which could lead to split ends

Saying no to sunburnt scalps
Hats are the most obvious way to protect your scalp from too much sun, but sometimes you might not like how they look with your outfit, or you just don’t want to wear one. That’s where these scalp-specific suncreams come in handy.

Here are some of my current favourites:
Hawaiian Tropic’s ‘Mineral Powder Sunscreen Brush SPF 30’ is available for £9.99 in Superdrug or £10.90 in Boots. This lightweight formula prides itself on its easy application and pocket-friendly size. Its matte finish is an added bonus, saving you from the greasy roots given by normal suncream.

Bondi Sands’ ‘SPF 50+ Fragrance Free Face Sunscreen Mist’ is available for £7 on Amazon. This vegan sunscreen claims to work for up to 72 hours and also has an anti-grease formula. Additionally, the SPF 50+ offers stronger and long-lasting protection for your hair.

Win the war against chlorine and heat damage
Both seawater and chlorine have been proven to dry out hair, causing weakness, which could lead to split ends. Whether your hair is curly, straight, high or low porosity, or a combination of them all, these damage-defying hacks will save the day so you can splash away.

Both before and after swimming, always remember to fully rinse your hair with fresh water from a tap or shower, because dry hair soaks up more chlorine. Using hair masks and leave-in conditioners, like the ones listed below, protects your hair from harsh chemicals and keeps it soft and moisturised.

Philip Kingsley’s ‘Swimcap: Chlorine Hair Protection Water Resistant Mask’ is available for £20 on Amazon. Swimcap is a cruelty-free hair mask that works to protect hair against the sun, sea, and chlorine by locking in moisture to prevent breakage. It’s proven to work effectively on all hair types, as well as on bleached or coloured hair.

Sleeping in protective hairstyles, such as plaits, reduces the friction of your head against a pillow, minimising any breakage

Garnier’s ‘Ultimate Blends Hair Food Coconut Oil 3-in-1 Frizzy Hair Mask Treatment’ is available from £4.49 on Amazon and £8.99 at Boots. This mask is also cruelty-free, vegan, and claims to be a moisturising formula, protecting all hair types, with an emphasis on curly and frizzy hair. It leaves hair looking soft and sleek, perfect for avoiding sun-drying damage.

Resurrecting sun-fried hair
If you find yourself dealing with the problems above, or if you just want a change in your routine, here are my best tips and products for shiny hair:

Sleeping in protective hairstyles, such as plaits, reduces the friction of your head against a pillow, minimising any breakage in your sleep. Additionally, using silk pillowcases and microfibre towels adds another element of protection to your daily hair care routine.

Philip Kingsley’s ‘Elastizer’ is available for £21 on their website. This mask uses castor oil and olive oil to drastically decrease hair damage and prevent dryness, restoring your hair to its former glory. If you’re looking for a more affordable alternative, Garnier’s hair mask listed above works just as effectively.

Nature Spell’s ‘Argan Oil’ is available for £7.99 from Amazon. Argan oil is a nourishing oil, containing both linoleic and oleic acid to maintain hair’s elasticity and combat breakages, so you can say bye to your split ends.

Umberto Giannini’s ‘Scalp Serum Hydration Drops’ is available for £6.63 at Boots. These miracle drops use coconut oil and salicylic acid to soothe irritated and itchy scalps, providing a healthy foundation for hair to grow. As well as providing relief for sunburnt heads, this formula is silicone-free, protecting your hair from unnecessary chemicals.