Image: Flickr / Carine06

Andy Murray says farewell: a reflection on the player’s success

On 21 June 2005, an 18-year-old boy named Andrew Murray arrived at his first Wimbledon Grand Slam, facing George Bastl of Switzerland on No. 2 Court. 19 years later, he waves goodbye as not only a man, but as a champion, a warrior, and a hero to so many.

As someone lucky enough to witness his last Wimbledon game live, I can say that it was truly spectacular. Despite defeat, the Centre Court crowd made their love for the Murray brothers known, as they played doubles together at Wimbledon for the first, and final, time. And following an emotional post-match tribute, there seems no better time to reflect on such a wonderful career.

In that first grand slam in 2005, the British player breezed past both George Bastl and the then-world number 13 Radek Stepanek in straight sets, setting up a Centre Court date with former finalist David Nalbandian. And whilst he fell to defeat in five sets following an injury, the next year, the 19-year-old reached the fourth round of Wimbledon in remarkable fashion, defeating tennis icon Andy Roddick.

Although, semi-final disappointment was to soon become a theme for Murray at Wimbledon; he was defeated by Andy Roddick in 2009, and Rafael Nadal again in both 2010 and 2011

In 2008, the Brit made his first-ever quarter-final at a grand slam, defeating Richard Gasquet after trailing by two sets. In the same year, he reached the final of the US Open. After quarter-final disappointment against Rafael Nadal in 2008, the following year Murray went one round better, defeating Spaniard Juan Carlos Ferrero.

Although, semi-final disappointment was to soon become a theme for Murray at Wimbledon; he was defeated by Andy Roddick in 2009, and Rafael Nadal again in both 2010 and 2011.

In the 2012 Championships, Murray made his first Wimbledon final, though again fell short of glory, as Roger Federer beat the Brit in four sets to lift his seventh Wimbledon trophy. Following the defeat, Murray infamously delivered a heartbreaking post-match interview to Centre Court.

In doing so, Murray became the first British player in 77 years to lift the men’s singles trophy

Though just a few weeks later, Murray would get the better of the Swiss on the very same court at the 2012 Olympic Games, reigniting a love for tennis in a country which was so deprived of success on the global stage. Things only got better for Murray in the final major tournament of the year too, winning his first grand slam in an intense five-set battle with Novak Djokovic at the US Open.

And at the following Wimbledon, a boyhood dream became a reality for the 26-year-old from Dunblane, as he again beat Novak Djokovic 6-4, 7-5, 6-4, in a thrilling final. In doing so, Murray became the first British player in 77 years to lift the men’s singles trophy.

After failing to reach the final the next two summers, Murray repeated his remarkable feat in the summer of 2016, lifting the Wimbledon trophy for the second time after seeing off Milos Raonic. Weeks later, he would again bring home the Olympic trophy from Brazil, solidifying his position as the face of British sport after his Davis Cup victory the year before.

Nonetheless, aside from Grand Slam and Olympic success, Murray will finish his career as the winner of 42 other singles titles, and with a staggering 41 weeks spent at world number one

Unfortunately for Murray, though, just months after reaching world number one in November of 2016, a hip injury would end his chances of competing at the very top level again, and since surgery he has struggled to replicate his previous excellence.

Nonetheless, aside from Grand Slam and Olympic success, Murray will finish his career as the winner of 42 other singles titles, and with a staggering 41 weeks spent at world number one.

In an era of perhaps the three greatest tennis players that the world will ever see, no discussion of the greatness of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic will ever truly be complete without reference to Murray’s success. But of course, the legacy of Andy Murray can never truly be captured by mere numbers and statistics.

It is the belief and hope that he inspired that will truly define Andy Murray

As perhaps more important than any particular win or any particular title, it is the belief and hope that he inspired that will truly define Andy Murray. The epitome of dedication, of hard-work, and of passion for what he loved, he captured the hearts of a nation, and at times it felt as if every fan was on court with him in those crucial Wimbledon moments.

His sheer determination when it felt like everything was stacked against him made him truly one of a kind. And as he fought nobly on the greatest grass court in tennis, the millions that picked up a racquet for the first time because of him will remain his greatest feat.

In his last tournament before retirement, Murray will represent Great Britain again on the Olympic stage. Playing on his least favourite surface (clay), and recovering from the recent back surgery that denied him one last shot at the Wimbledon Singles title, it’s safe to say that this time he will fall short of gold. But more significantly, it will provide one final chance for all those who will forever miss his presence to enjoy one last dance.