Image: Flickr / UK Parliament

UK government is aiding war crimes, suggests Coventry MP, amidst arms sales row

Coventry South MP Zarah Sultana has called for the suspension of arms sales to Israel, accusing the UK government of aiding ‘war crimes’ in Gaza. 

The Labour MP, who represents the University of Warwick’s constituency, made the comments after the Israeli government’s announcement of a military operation in Rafah, a city in southern Gaza sheltering over a million displaced Palestinians. 

Ms Sultana has been openly critical of the Israeli government’s response to Hamas’ 7 October attacks, which killed over 1,200 people, and saw 250 hostages taken by the terror group. Since the attack, Israel’s military response has seen 35,000 Palestinians killed, and left hundreds of thousands displaced.  

When we look at the role we are playing, we are aiding and abetting […] war crimes

– Zarah Sultana MP

Speaking on Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg, Sultana criticised the government’s position on arms sales to Israel, claiming that “we have a precautionary system […] and it hasn’t been upheld.” 

She added: “We see attacks on journalists, health workers, and the government has done very little. In fact, when we look at the role we are playing, we are aiding and abetting what are war crimes that are happening on a daily basis.”  

Sultana previously introduced a Private Members’ Bill to Parliament in December 2023, seeking to suspend arms sales to states in violation of international law. 

I think it would have sent an entirely wrong message

– Lord Cameron, Foreign Secretary

The Labour Party’s position on arms sales has since shifted since the latest military offensive, with The Telegraph reporting that the Shadow Foreign Secretary, David Lammy, has called for a halt on the export of arms that could be used in Rafah. 

Following US President Joe Biden’s warning that a major invasion of Rafah would lead to a stop in some arms supplies to Israel, Lammy said: “The UK Government should now work with the US to try and prevent a Rafah offensive, by being clear it will assess UK exports and, if the Rafah offensive goes ahead, join our American allies in suspending weapons or components that could be used in that Rafah offensive.” 

However, the Foreign Secretary, David Cameron reiterated his opposition to suspending the supply of arms to Israel. On previous calls to stop arms sales, he said: “The last time I was urged to do that, I didn’t do that, and just a few days later there was a brutal attack by Iran on Israel […] I think it would have sent an entirely wrong message.” 

He went on to say that a suspension in arms supplies “would make Hamas stronger” and “make a hostage deal less likely.”