Image: Tom Bird

Smackdown: Student housing plans spell doom for Leamington nightclub

Tuesday nights for Warwick students may never be the same, as the infamous Leamington nightclub ‘Smack’ looks set to be demolished in plans to build more student housing.

The proposed demolition would see the building, used as a nightclub for around 25 years, replaced with apartments to house the growing Leamington student population, thought to have risen to over 5,000.

Smack has become a staple institution of Warwick nightlife

The plans, available on Warwick District Council’s planning application page, state that the proposal is for the “demolition of [an] existing two storey nightclub building, and erection of [a] five storey building containing ten purpose-built student apartments.” The apartments will provide forty-eight bedrooms, and “remove a potentially bad neighbour from the locality”, reflecting previously expressed concerns from some local residents over anti-social behaviour from the student population in the town.

Smack has become a staple institution of Warwick nightlife, drawing in students and locals alike with its notorious Smack Tuesday events, in addition to opening its doors on Thursdays and Saturdays. Its loss would be a notable departure in the Leamington nightlife scene, where it dominates alongside its sister-club Neon.

As of 21 May, there had been ten listed objections on the planning website

There is still yet hope for Smack, however, with the planned demolition facing various forms of opposition. As of 21 May, there had been ten listed objections on the planning website, with just one comment made in support. One concern voiced the worry that the building may be listed as protected, with the buildings on The Parade having been listed as such by Historic England since 1953. The plans dismiss this claim, in noting the building is “physically removed” from The Parade “by a distance of over 20m”, and that it has been “significantly altered” since its construction, concluding that the buildings are not heritage-listed.

Another concern reflects fears for the night-time economy. The closure would come amidst a backdrop of crisis for UK nightlife, with an estimated five nightclubs being lost every week in 2024. At a critical time for the nightlife industry, both club-goers and owners fear the loss would only exacerbate its decline.

Although the plans have caused concern, the demolition of Smack, and the loss of what has been an iconic part of a Warwick student’s nightlife experience, looks far off, with a struggle sure to ensue between the council, the student population, and local residents. In the meantime, Warwick students and Leamington locals alike have plenty of Smack Tuesdays still to look forward to.