Image: Wikimedia commons

Rediscovering Ancient Domesticity: Thoughts on Francis Pryor’s “Home”

When many of us think about prehistoric life, we imagine the traditional hunter-gatherer, with his or her collection of spears, sharp and blunt stones, inhabiting a world established with the aim of mere survival. However, there is more to this period of history than hunting mammoths and cave paintings. These are the thoughts and ideas that one prominent archaeologist has sought to understand, challenging the notion of a wholly uncivilised prehistory. “Home: A Time Traveller’s Tales from Britain’s Prehistory” by Francis Pryor is an intriguing exploration of ancient British history through the lens of domestic life. Pryor, a prominent archaeologist known for his work on prehistoric Britain, uses his extensive knowledge and experience to paint a vivid picture of how early inhabitants of the British Isles lived, worked, and formed communities. The book is a fascinating blend of personal anecdotes, archaeological insights, and historical narratives, making it accessible to both scholars and general readers interested in prehistory.

Pryor structures his work thematically as opposed to chronologically, allowing for a broader delve into a range of aspect of prehistoric domestic life, including housing, food, customs and family. Pryor presents these themes with a range of archaeological evidence, to provide an engaging and elaborate collection of stories and excavations from his own time in the archaeological field.

Central to the book is Pryor’s argument that prehistoric people were not that dissimilar from modern man as we might’ve originally thought.

“Pryor emphasises the continuity of human experiences and emotions across millennia, grounded in the claim that the basic human desire for both a safe and comfortable home environment has remained constant”

Pryor emphasises the continuity of human experiences and emotions across millennia, grounded in the claim that the basic human desire for both a safe and comfortable home environment has remained constant. He explores how homes in the prehistoric period were constructed, maintained and then inhabited, offering insights into the ingenuity and resourcefulness of early Britons.

In addition to this, Pryor also aims to challenge many common misconceptions about prehistoric life. Key to many of these is the aforementioned uncivilised and primitive nature of prehistoric societies. In fact, Pryor presents evidence to suggest the opposite of this, with complex social structures, sophisticated techniques, and rich cultural traditions. One of these traditions that particularly interested me was that of henge-building. Pryor illustrates that these henges were not mere practical endeavours but served as profound statements of communal identity and spiritual belief. Built in relation and aligned often with celestial events as Pryor argues, these henges played a role in ceremonies such as solstices and equinoxes. The main henge example we have in the UK is Stonehenge, which is famously aligned with the sunrise of the summer solstice and sunset of the winter solstice, indicating its role in solar worship and seasonal celebrations.

“If one thing stuck with me from this book, it is Pryor’s personal touch, serving arguably as its greatest strength”

If one thing stuck with me from this book, it is Pryor’s personal touch, serving arguably as its greatest strength. His passion for archaeology and his deep connection to the landscapes of Britain shine through in his writing. He often shares anecdotes from his own career, such as the challenges of conducting excavations in difficult conditions and the thrill of discovering ancient artifacts. These stories add a layer of authenticity and immediacy to the narrative, making the reader feel as though they are accompanying Pryor on his archaeological adventures. His stories add a rich, human dimension to the book and wider archaeology as a whole and highlight not just the often detailed technical and physical challenges of archaeological investigation, but also the emotional and intellectual rewards of uncovering the past.

In conclusion, Home offers a fusion of archaeological investigation with a personal emotional approach to study that offers an incredibly valuable contribution to our understanding of prehistoric Britain. It challenges common misconceptions and highlights the sophistication of prehistoric societies, underscoring the enduring human desire for a home. Whether you are a seasoned archaeologist or a curious reader with an interest in history, Home offers a fascinating glimpse into the lives of our ancient ancestors and the timeless quest for domesticity and community. Pryor’s passion and expertise make this book both an enlightening and enjoyable read, bridging the gap between academic scholarship and popular history, in an accessible and engaging piece of work.