Image: [Unsplash]

In a World of Your Own: The Benefits of Solo Travel

It was a dreary winter morning. Clouds rolling over the tall concrete buildings nearby. The bitter air cutting against my skin. I felt cold inside.

It was mid-January and I was at Gatwick airport. I’d booked a one-way ticket to Ho Chi Minh city via Bamboo airlines (no, I’d never heard of them either). With me, I had a backpack containing a few essential things: clothes, medicines, toiletries and travel books. I was excited at the prospect of a solo trip, but had no idea what the next four and a half months had in store for me.

Fast-forward one week and I’m lying in a lumpy hostel bed in South Vietnam. I felt lonely, fed up and stuffy. I was tired and still jetlagged and the last few days had been awful. I was constantly hot and sweaty and I’d hardly met any other fellow travellers. Each night, the beautiful rooftop bar in my hostel was vacant. Barely a soul passed by. Yet looking back now, I know that if I’d packed up my bags and gone home then I would have never experienced what lay ahead. That the last week had been an anomaly and adventure after adventure awaited.

looking back now, I know that if I’d packed up my bags and gone home then I would have never experienced what lay ahead.

Surprisingly then, my first tip is to always stay in hostels. You will meet people, the right people too. Whether you’re a museum fanatic, a party animal or a history buff, hundreds of like-minded friends await. You’ll meet these people at breakfast, at hostel night outs or even in your dorm rooms. Plus hostels are budget friendly for long-term travellers and often have breakfast included to save you even more. You might be daunted by the prospect of sharing dorm rooms with up to twelve other people. That some snoring old hag above your bunk bed will pierce the peaceful bubble of sleep. I’d say this; buy yourself a decent pair of earplugs and you’ll forget that you ever worried in the first place. Hostels are lively and exciting.

My next tip is to meet as many locals as possible. Locals provide the most authentic experiences, simply because they know the place inside out, the hidden gems of the town. Don’t get me wrong, places are popular for a reason and you should always make the time to visit the blockbuster attractions. I had a really nice experience by meeting a ‘Leonardo DiCaprio-esque’ Vietnamese man who took me to a local karaoke bar with really good live music and local dancing. I know that if I hadn’t met this man, I’d have never noticed the dingy outside of the building as anything special.

Locals provide the most authentic experiences, simply because they know the place inside out, the hidden gems of the town.

Finally, go off the beaten track. Everyone’s been to Phuket in Thailand, but who’s heard of Koh Lanta, a stunning island escape just two hours further west? Everyone’s been to Bangkok, but who’s heard of Phitsanoluk, a bustling local city with a street market that stretches on for miles? Yes, you should be careful; you don’t want to end up in some dodgy ‘Luton-esque’ place on your travels. You’ve got that back home. So by doing some research (travel books, local people), find out the hidden beauty spots and indulge in them. Be unique.

Travelling solo is not easy. I faced travel burnout constantly, but I learned how to deal with it. At times, I missed friends and family, but it was new relationships and connections that distracted me. I also want to acknowledge that for female solo travellers I did hear stories of mistreatment, harassment, abuse. I hope this never happens to you if you do decide to go solo travelling, but it’s okay to take some time out and give yourself some space.

At times, I missed friends and family, but it was new relationships and connections that distracted me.

I’m so glad that after the first week I continued solo travelling. I saw beautiful intricately carved temples, ate mouthwatering foods and learnt so much about myself. Solo travelling is almost like a spiritual journey, and it brings you a calmness and inner peace. You confront what you are afraid of. You learn to love yourself. You learn to be the best version of yourself. What’s stopping you going?