Image: Flickr / irish-adam

Not quite ideal: Disappointing results for both England and Scotland in their final Euros preparation

Friday evening’s result saw England suffer a shock defeat to Iceland, a team who have not even qualified for the Euros this summer. Boos could be heard at the final whistle, not just because of the result, but also because of the unimpressive and frankly unconvincing performance by the English side.

Gareth Southgate sent out a strong starting eleven but the team found themselves behind after just twelve minutes. England’s number-two goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale was beaten at his near post by Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson. This was the only goal of the game, meaning that Iceland came out victorious with a 1-0 scoreline, beating England who only managed one shot on target all game.

After the match, England manager Gareth Southgate spoke to the press: “The most disappointing part tonight was out of possession, we didn’t press well, we were too stretched, and in the last two or three games in particular we have been excellent at that.”

He went on to say: “A lot of the players needed the minutes, players that have been coming back from injury, players that have played a lot but have had a week’s break and are out of that rhythm. And of course, at the end where you ideally want the experience on the pitch to keep the calm and work your way back into the game, we were needing to take those players off to look after them.”

Many pundits were unimpressed, with former England attacker Dion Dublin saying that “nobody really had a good game”.

Scotland have the daunting task of taking on hosts Germany in their first game and the opening game of the tournament on Friday evening, whereas England take on Serbia in their first game on Sunday evening

Like England, Scotland will head to Germany in disappointing fashion having drawn to Finland after being two goals ahead with just thirty minutes to play.

Scotland took the lead through an own goal by Arttu Hoskonen. However, credit must go to Andy Robertson and Kieran Tierney, whose link-up opened up the Finnish defence. Less than five minutes later, Scotland doubled their lead – and yet again Andy Roberston was involved. It was his cross that found the head of Lawrence Shankland at the back post to put Scotland two goals in front.

Brought on after 69 minutes for his 75th and likely final appearance, goalkeeper Craig Gordon’s comeback was debated but appeared appropriate with a solid lead. Scotland manager Steve Clarke defended his choice, not wanting to deprive Gordon of this milestone. At 41, Gordon became Scotland’s oldest ever player. However, his farewell turned sour swiftly, conceding two goals to ruin the fairytale ending. Firstly, he was beaten by Benjamin Källman’s header, before he later gave away a penalty. Oliver Antman stepped up for Finland to beat Gordon and level the game.

All eyes will now turn to Germany for both England and Scotland. Scotland have the daunting task of taking on hosts Germany in their first game and the opening game of the tournament on Friday evening, whereas England take on Serbia in their first game on Sunday evening.