Image: The Sunday Times

Calls to disband Warwick Tories, after members dance to ‘Nazi song’

Calls have been made for the Warwick Conservative Association to be disbanded after a video emerged of members singing a WWII German marching song.

The footage, first reported in The Sunday Times, shows attendees of the society’s annual Chairman’s Dinner dancing to the song ‘Erika’, playing on the venue’s speakers.

Some can be seen singing the lyrics of the song, which was written in 1938 by Herms Niel, a senior member of the Nazi Party’s paramilitary, the SA.

It has further been alleged that in addition to playing the song, members chanted “Kill the Hughes” – a reference to former Society Chair Hugh Herring – and “Heil the Chairman”.

Glorification of the Nazis has no place in our society, especially on campus

Warwick JSoc–UJS joint statement

The incident has prompted widespread outcry, both at Warwick and on a national level. In a joint statement with the Union of Jewish Students, Warwick Jewish Society condemned the video’s actions as “utterly abhorrent”.

A statement read: “Glorification of the Nazis has no place in our society, especially on campus. It is in no way acceptable and must be widely condemned.”

It added: “Actions must have consequences,” calling for “swift and decisive action” from the University and the Conservative Party.

A spokesperson for the University told The Boar that it was reviewing reports of the incident and that it had notified the Students’ Union.

They said: “We have been made aware of this video and the allegations surrounding it, which are extremely troubling. Behaviour like this is reprehensible and we are disappointed to see our students involved.”

The Conservative Party has been quick to distance itself from the society bearing its name, seeking to clarify that it “is not affiliated to the Conservative Party”.

Since news of the video was first reported, the Warwick Conservatives have made their Instagram and X accounts private, and appear to have removed their website.

The group has suggested that most of those filmed dancing to the Nazi anthem were “unaware” of the song’s origins or connotations

A statement posted on the society’s Instagram apologised “unreservedly for any distress caused”. It insisted that the song had been played only by an “individual member”, and that the member in question was “no longer welcome at society events”.

The group has suggested that most of those filmed dancing to the Nazi anthem were “unaware” of the song’s origins or connotations. A spokesperson told MailOnline that they had no memory of the other comments alleged to have been made at the dinner.

The Warwick Conservative statement finished by saying: “This in no way represents the values of this society, and [we] can only apologise that this has happened.”

Others, however, have argued the incident is representative of deeper flaws within the society.

‘Apologies’ aren’t enough. They have ‘history’. They knew the Nazi associations and that it was antisemitic

Matt Western, MP for Warwick and Leamington

Matt Western, MP for Warwick and Leamington who is standing again at this week’s election, argued that: “‘Apologies’ aren’t enough. They have ‘history’. They knew the Nazi associations and that it was antisemitic.”

The Labour shadow minister called for the association to be suspended from the Conservative Party, but concluded that the Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak, was “too weak” to do so.

Other societies on campus have called for the Warwick Students’ Union to disband the Warwick Conservatives.

The Jewish community group Warwick Kehillah described the incident as “the most shocking incident in a long history of the embedded bigotry within the society.”

It concluded that: “The Warwick Conservatives are rotten to the core with racism,” and formally called for the SU to disband the Warwick Tories.

A tweet by Warwick Labour echoed this call for the Society to be disbanded, though this has since been deleted.

We are exploring all options open to us in relation to this matter

Warwick Students’ Union statement

In a statement online released on 1 July, the SU said that it was “currently working to respond to complaints related to this incident, and are liaising proactively with the University and student groups involved to make sure our response is proportionate.

“We are exploring all options open to us in relation to this matter.”

The statement further described The Sunday Times video as “extremely concerning” and unrepresentative of the organisation’s values. It condemned “any racist and antisemitic actions and behaviour”, and provided links to available support services.

The Warwick Tories and the Students’ Union were approached for additional comment.