Image: The Boar Sport

An exciting end to the group stage: Euro 2024 matchday three roundup

The UEFA European Championship group stage has concluded with a series of thrilling matches which have determined the teams that will advance to the round of 16. Each group delivered intense moments, surprise outcomes, and dramatic finishes that have set the stage for the knockout phase.

In a crucial Group A match, Germany faced Switzerland, needing only a draw to secure the top spot in their group. However, Switzerland took the lead with a goal from Dan Ndoye and nearly extended it twice; once when Ruben Vargas’ goal was ruled out and another when Granit Xhaka’s shot was brilliantly saved by Manuel Neuer. In stoppage time, Niklas Fullkrug’s header ensured that Germany topped Group A and set up a round of 16 match against Denmark, while Switzerland, finishing second, will face Italy.

Simultaneously, Scotland played Hungary, both needing a win to stand any chance at advancing. Scotland dominated possession but failed to create clear chances, having no shots on target in the first half. Hungary, though less dominant, posed threats,
including a long-range effort from Bendeguz Bolla. In a dramatic finish, Hungary’s Kevin Csoboth scored in added time, ending Scotland’s round of 16 hopes. Hungary finished third in Group A but did not advance as one of the best third place teams.

England finished top of their group and will play Slovakia in the round of 16, while Slovenia, advancing in third place, will face Portugal

In a match with high stakes, Croatia and Italy provided a thrilling encounter. The best chance of the first half fell to Italy’s Alessandro Bastoni, who saw his header brilliantlysaved by Dominik Livaković. In the second half, Croatia were awarded a penalty for
Davide Frattesi’s handball, but Donnarumma saved Luka Modrić’s shot. Moments later, Donnarumma made another excellent save, but Modrić capitalised on the rebound to score. Italy fought back, and in stoppage time Mattia Zaccagni’s curling shot secured a
1-1 draw, eliminating Croatia and advancing Italy to play Switzerland in the round of 16.

In the other match in group B, Albania faced Spain, who made ten changes to their starting lineup. Albania began energetically, but it was Spain who took the lead when Ferran Torres scored. Despite a near mishap when David Raya’s clearance hit Aymeric
Laporte, Spain maintained control of the game. Spain finished top of Group B with a perfect record, while Albania were eliminated from the tournament.

England’s match against Slovenia ended in a goalless draw. The first half was uneventful, with Phil Foden’s free kick being the closest either team came to scoring. In the second half, the introduction of Kobbie Mainoo for Gallagher brought some urgency,
shown by John Stones’ header, which was cleared off the line. England finished top of their group and will play Slovakia in the round of 16, while Slovenia, advancing in third place, will face Portugal.

Denmark’s encounter with Serbia also ended in a 0-0 draw. Denmark dominated the first half, creating numerous chances, the best being Christian Eriksen’s long-range shot saved by Predrag Rajković. Serbia’s best chance came late, but Aleksandar Mitrović’s
shot went wide. The draw eliminated Serbia from the tournament, while Denmark qualified in second place and will face Germany in the round of 16.

Slovakia dominated the early stages against Romania, creating several chances from corners, and took the lead through Ondrej Duda’s header from Juraj Kucka’s cross

Austria and the Netherlands produced a thrilling match that ended in a 3-2 victory for Austria. An early own goal by Donyell Malen from Alexander Prass’ cross gave Austria the lead. Cody Gakpo then equalised for the Netherlands early in the second half.
Romano Schmid’s header from Florian Grillitsch’s cross put Austria ahead again, but Memphis Depay’s volley levelled the score again. Marcel Sabitzer’s late goal clinched victory and top spot for Austria. Austria face Turkey, while the Netherlands meet Romania in the round of 16.

In the other game in group D, France against Poland played each other. This match ended in a 1-1 draw.

France had the first big chance when N’Golo Kanté set up Ousmane Dembélé, but his shot was saved by Łukasz Skorupski. Robert Lewandowski had Poland’s best chance of the first half, but his header missed the target. In the second half, Dembélé earned a penalty for France, which was converted by Kylian Mbappé. However, Poland later equalised through Lewandowski’s retaken penalty. The draw left France as the runner-up in Group D, setting up an exciting round of 16 tie with Belgium.

Slovakia dominated the early stages against Romania, creating several chances from corners, and took the lead through Ondrej Duda’s header from Juraj Kucka’s cross. Romania equalised ten minutes later with Răzvan Marin converting a penalty after Ianis Hagi was fouled. The draw was sufficient for both teams to advance to the round of 16.

In the other game in group E, Belgium and Ukraine played out a tense goalless draw

In the other game in group E, Belgium and Ukraine played out a tense goalless draw. Romelu Lukaku had Belgium’s best chance of the first half, while Roman Yaremchuk tested Koen Casteels. In the second half, Ruslan Malinovskyi’s corner was saved on the line by Casteels. The result saw Belgium progress to face France, while Ukraine became the first team ever to be eliminated whilst collecting four points.

In group F, the Czech Republic faced Turkey in a match where the Czechs needed a win but fell short. Their hopes dimmed early in the first half when Antonín Barák was sent off for two yellow cards. Things got worse for the Czechs when Hakan Çalhanoğlu put Turkey ahead. Tomáš Souček equalised, but Cenk Tosun’s stoppage-time goal sealed the win for Turkey, eliminating the Czechs. Turkey finished second in Group F and will face Austria in the tournament’s next round.

Georgia’s match against Portugal saw an early goal in just 93 seconds from Khvicha Kvaratskhelia to put Georgia ahead. In the second half, Georges Mikautadze’s penalty doubled Georgia’s lead. Georgia nearly extended their lead twice later in the half but held on to finish third in Group F, setting up a match against Spain. Portugal will face Slovenia next.