A hill to climb: The Lionesses’ Euro qualification journey continues

Almost a year ago, the Lionesses were readying themselves for the World Cup down under in Australia and New Zealand – a tournament which saw Sarina Wiegman’s squad narrowly losing out to Spain in the final. One year on, the national squad has grown even stronger with young footballers coming up through the England pathway. However, despite the reigning European Champions having arguably one of the strongest squads in the world right now, they currently sit third in their qualifying group for the 2025 European Championships. Now the Lionesses are readying to face France, Ireland, and then Sweden, as they seek to clinch qualification.

Wiegman has named a 26-player squad for England’s decisive qualifiers this summer. The squad comprises of a range of talent who play for domestic and European clubs. Four additional players are on stand-by in case any other members have to withdraw from the matches.

Between the sticks, Wiegman had selected Mary Earps as her first choice keeper. Yet Manchester United’s number 27 came off in the initial minutes of England’s game against France played on Friday 31 May when she sustained a hip injury. This leaves Wiegman with the two other most likely goalkeeping options for the upcoming fixtures of Khiara Keating of Manchester City and Hannah Hampton of Chelsea. In terms of form, Keating had the most clean sheets in the Women’s Super League this season, with nine out of 22, but Hampton’s six out of 10 gives her a higher clean sheet percentage.

In their three previous displays, England managed to scrape a 1-1 draw versus Sweden, followed by a smash-and-grab win over Ireland. However, despite going 1-0 up against France, England conceded two goals in the 41st and 68th minutes, going on to lose 2-1. 

In defence, it is likely that captain Leah Williamson will partner Millie Bright, with Chelsea’s Players’ Player of the Year, Jess Carter, who stepped up in the World Cup last year, and Barcelona’s Lucy Bronze as full backs. In terms of reserve options, Wiegman has great depth in defence with Alex Greenwood, Maya Le Tissier, and Millie Turner all having respectable seasons for their domestic clubs, despite Greenwood not starting in England’s first game against France.

When it comes to the midfield, Wiegman is limited for choice, with Georgia Stanway, Ella Toone, and Keira Walsh appearing to be the most likely three – with Fran Kirby and Jess Park offering depth. In attack, the Lionesses also appear to lack depth, with the traditional three of Lauren Hemp, Beth Mead, and Alessia Russo being ideal. Prodigy Lauren James has withdrawn from the current camp, but Chloe Kelly is there as a game-changing substitute.

Wiegman has also called up four “stand-ins” in case needed, most notably including Liverpool’s Missy Bo Kearns, stepping up from her role as captain of the England U23s. This will be Kearns’ first England tournament should she be officially called up to start, having progressed this season at Liverpool with 24 appearances for the club. Alongside her, Aggie Beever-Jones, who has represented England all the way from the U15s, after notching 13 goals in 31 games this season for Chelsea, has been called up as one of the members of the 26 player senior squad for the first time.

In addition to these two, Spurs forward Jessica Naz, and Birmingham City keeper Lucy Thomas are on standby.

Between now and 16 July, the Lionesses will play three sides: France, Ireland, and Sweden. In their three previous displays, England managed to scrape a 1-1 draw versus Sweden, followed by a smash-and-grab win over Ireland. However, despite going 1-0 up against France, England conceded two goals in the 41st and 68th minutes, going on to lose 2-1.

It appears that England have a hill to climb to qualify for next year’s Euros

Central to England’s challenge is the return fixture against France; Les Bleues have a 32% better points-per-game record over the past five games. For France, they will hope to secure back to back wins, reaching 12 points. Head Coach Hervé Renard is likely to select the same eleven that beat England, suggesting if anyone will be making changes, it’s going to be England.

The rumours circulating around the camp is that Wiegman is poised to start Manchester City duo Greenwood and Kelly, to offer both solidity in defence, but also attacking threat going forward. With Kelly starting on the wing, either in place of Mead or Hemp, England will gain increased creativity, coupled with the calm and collected style that Kelly exemplifies. France too have this, with forward Marie-Antoinette Katoto and defender Élisa De Almeida proving crucial to France’s victory last time out. Should England win the game, they could move up to second in their qualifying group – they currently sit behind Sweden on goal difference. Nonetheless, you’d have to say France would appear the team with greater confidence, having won nine of their last 11 games.

So, it appears that England have a hill to climb to qualify for next year’s Euros, with three big games coming up. Whilst England face challenges, largely centred around the absence of their goalkeeper, Mary Earps, and the apparent lack of well-capped depth in midfield and attack, one should never underestimate Sarina Wiegman’s ability to deliver results, and guide England to Euro qualification, despite what she saw as an “unnecessary” result last week.