Volodymyr Proskurovskyi, Unplash
Image: Unsplash/ Volodymyr Proskurovskyi

The Art of Scrapbooking

When we were children, we were encouraged to pursue creativity all the time and partake in what was called ‘’messy play’’. We were constantly shown how to make cards and posters at school and filled out pages of colouring books and cut scraps from magazines. As we got older, many people forgot to make time for arts and crafts or simply stopped wanting to. Well, Gen Z and 2024 has ushered in a newfound regard for slowing down and getting creative. I would argue this harks back to the artistic pursuits started with the onset of Covid when people took the time to pick up new hobbies and make time to relax, but it has stayed firmly in the trending public sphere.

Scrapbooking, or junk journaling as it is sometimes referred as, is a great way to do this, and I am a big fan. Scrapbooking is all about collecting memories and trinkets in various forms and putting them down onto the page, usually with some artistic flair. It is a great way of preserving memories or paying homage to an interest, person or event in a way you can keep and not forget. Not only is it a great keepsake to look back on, it can be very therapeutic and a great way to either organise your thoughts on paper (writing things down is shown to be very beneficial) or focus on the good in your life and simply relax and get away from it all. Life can be so hectic nowadays, especially as students, and scrapbooking can be a great way to unwind, which is one of the reasons I got into scrapbooking.

“As a serial scrapbooker and general craft enthusiast these are my top tips for how to get started scrapbooking, how to persevere with it, and the types of things you might want to include”

As a serial scrapbooker and general craft enthusiast these are my top tips for how to get started scrapbooking, how to persevere with it, and the types of things you might want to include. Firstly, I love decorating the front cover of my journals to look fun and reflect something about me – after all if your scrapbook looks cool, you will be more likely to pick it up and use it. I use all sorts of supplies such as stickers, buttons, stamps, magazine cuttings, photos, alongside just playing around with mixed media. It can be neat and tidy or messy like a collage – the important thing is simply to sit down and take the time to put pen (or Pritt-stick) to paper. You might be thinking scrapbooking requires numerous supplies, money, or effort but you really only need a glue stick to get started. Collecting things from your day to day life makes a scrapbook both personal and more engaging. Train tickets, receipts, labels, bus tickets, leaflets, notes, pressed flowers, wrapping paper, even small things you see on the ground out and about, can help to narrate a memory and add some context to your scrapbook.

“It can be really nice to see your memories and favourite days reflected back at you on the page. But sometimes life can be dull or you don’t fancy recalling day to day activities”

It can be really nice to see your memories and favourite days reflected back at you on the page. But sometimes life can be dull or you don’t fancy recalling day to day activities. Other pages that can be really interesting in a scrapbook may include colour themed pages, pages dedicated to albums or TV shows that you love, holidays, seasons, sometimes letters and envelopes can be a cool addition, mood boards, and manifestation. There is also a big trend at the moment of adding a Polaroid (or just a printed picture) of yourself to the beginning of your journal, so that you know what you looked like when you started it, and I think that’s a really nice touch.

Scrapbooking can not only be mindful and a great way to relax but it can also act as a little insight into who you are. Many people use old scrapbooks as research into eras, time periods, or simply from a nosey point of view, with a scrapbook being a portal into the most private life of an individual. They’re really useful to communicate something about yourself and you can tell a surprising amount about someone through the small things they collect and add significance to. Why not try it?