Girl alone/ Image: Unsplash

May is the month of mental health

May has been internationally recognised as ‘Mental Health Awareness Month’ since the mid-twentieth century and is annually observed with workshops, education, spreading awareness, and a vast array of local events. It is no secret that awareness surrounding mental health has increased enormously in the past few decades. Our medical and social knowledge on different mental health issues has greatly improved, as it is becoming easier and more accessible for people to attain the support they need with every passing year. However, there are still countless setbacks and struggles in the mental health sphere, especially among university students. Studies have shown time and time again that university students are more likely to suffer mental health issues than people of the same age who are not at university. Be it exam stress, homesickness or a lack of awareness regarding mental health services available, it can often feel like students have to deal with everything, without receiving the support they need.

One of the most difficult things to deal with at university, which I don’t believe is discussed enough, is loneliness

Leaving home and moving to a different city, or sometimes country, is often one of the most difficult changes university students make in their lives. I had never been away from home for longer than a few weeks and the thought of it excited me as much as it terrified me. Sleeping in a small room in a corridor of strangers, after having shared one with siblings for years, was nerve wracking, and I admittedly spent the first few weeks of university trapped in my room, scared to leave its safety. One of the most difficult things to deal with at university, which I don’t believe is discussed enough, is loneliness. There are countless times in which I have felt incredibly lonely at university, feeling behind everyone as they vigorously posted amazing Freshers’ Weeknights out across social media, and how they had made so many friends across 15 different societies, all while staying on top of their degree. My transition into university life was far from this idealistic, perfect image.

University is an odd point in young people’s lives – it is the grey space between living at home and being a teenager and living entirely independently as an adult. Having to buy your own groceries, discipline yourself on when and what to eat, budget your spending and making doctor’s appointments are things I was far from used to doing on my own. This, and trying to make the life-long friends I was promised I would meet while finishing all my degree readings each week, felt impossible, and took a huge toll on my mental health. I resorted to locking myself away and only leaving my room if I had to. I know that I am far from the only student to have experienced this sense of isolation and imposter syndrome. It is unfortunately very common amongst students, a fact that actually helped me climb out of this pit of self-doubt and worry.

By surrounding yourself with people and support systems who truly care about you, you will thrive

The moment I realised that everyone is also figuring out their university experience, and no one has it all exactly figured out, was the moment I decided to take control of my student experience. I joined societies and began new hobbies. I went to socials and forced myself to make friends. I spent more time with my flat, and can now confidently call them some of my closest friends. I stayed after lectures and seminars, grabbing coffees with the people I would be spending most of my degree with. I also reached out to the Wellbeing Services offered at Warwick – I was extremely hesitant at first, having heard of long waiting times and inefficient treatment. However, I was referred to a service within a week and was given the support I needed, discretely, confidentially and at my convenience. In truth, Warwick’s Wellbeing Services could be doing more. Their lack of advertisement and awareness (and reputation) delayed me from reaching out to them: however, I am so grateful that I did.

This is not to say that I am entirely out of my pit of anxiety and self-doubt. Progress is never linear, but I can confidently say that my university experience has been one of the best in my life, and I would not have changed it for the world. I truly believe that university is what you make it. Taking risks and putting yourself in uncomfortable environments are the only ways to grow and meet the people who will stay with you for the rest of your life. This is, of course, easier said than done, however, there are lots of ways societies and the university can provide you with the support you need. By surrounding yourself with people and support systems who truly care about you, you will thrive in the same ways that I believe I have.