Image: Wikimedia Commons / Drew Dies
Image: Wikimedia Commons / Drew Dies

MLS: Thierry Henry departs CF Montreal due to family circumstances

Thierry Henry stepped down as head coach of Major League Soccer (MLS) outfit CF Montreal last week, citing family reasons.

The Frenchman spent one season in charge of the Quebec-based club, guiding Montreal to eight wins, two draws, and thirteen defeats in the MLS regular-season. The former FC Barcelona forward also guided the club to a spot in the MLS Playoffs and the quarter-finals of the Concacaf Champions League.

“It is with a heavy heart that I’ve decided to take this decision,” Henry said in a club statement. “The last year has been an extremely difficult one for me personally. Due to the worldwide pandemic, I was unable to see my children.

“Unfortunately, due to the ongoing restrictions and the fact that we will have to relocate to the US again for several months will be no different. The separation is too much of a strain for me and my kids. Therefore, it is with much sadness that I must take the decision to return to London and leave CF Montréal.”

The situation was and remains very difficult for both him and his family

– Oliver Renard

Oliver Renard, the club’s sporting director, said: “Thierry’s departure is unfortunate and premature because this was very promising, but he informed me of his desire to be back with his family because the situation was and remains very difficult for both him and his family.

“I want to thank him, first on a human level because he led the players by example last year by being away from his family, but also from a sporting level and for what we have built together since his arrival. We wanted to elevate this club and we are on the right track. 

“The process of finding a new head coach is already underway and I will be looking for someone who is aligned with the philosophy we have implemented.”

As a player, Henry spent five years in MLS with the New York Red Bulls, scoring 51 goals in 122 stars for the club. Henry played an integral role in New York’s resurgence in the 2010s, leading the Red Bulls to a first-place finish in the Eastern Conference in 2010 in addition to the Supporters’ Shield title three years later.

Last month, Henry emerged as a front-runner for the vacant managerial post at Championship side AFC Bournemouth. The Cherries, however, announced on 20 February that interim boss Jonathan Woodgate would continue in his role until the end of the season.

The timing for Thierry Henry’s departure could not have been worse for CF Montreal, the club previously known as the Montreal Impact.

The reasons for Henry’s departure are undoubtedly genuine, and this isn’t simply a case of the Arsenal legend abandoning the club after his failed run at the Bournemouth job. Canada’s three MLS clubs – Toronto FC, CF Montreal, and the Vancouver Whitecaps – were forced to spend much of last season on the road due to Canadian health restrictions.

With his family still in London, England, a challenging situation became impossible for Henry. Perhaps he could justify working away from home if his family could visit him freely and easily; the pandemic robbed him (and CF Montreal) of that opportunity.

Considering the circumstances, Henry’s record is commendable

Henry did not fail in Montreal, despite overseeing a slight reduction in the club’s points-per-game (PPG) ratio. In 2019, the season prior to Henry’s arrival, the (then) Impact amassed 1.21 PPG. With Henry in the dugout, Montreal averaged 1.13 PPG.

Considering the circumstances, Henry’s record is commendable. He took a patchwork team on a year-long slog around the United States and still qualified for the post-season. Montreal’s style of play was not vintage – the Frenchman made his defensive credentials known by deploying a back five on a regular basis.

Think of Henry’s tenure in MLS as a B+ performance. Montreal were better than expected – but it wasn’t va va voom football. Henry will be back in the hotseat – probably somewhere in the UK – soon enough.

For the club, though, this is a torrid situation. After a rebrand in the winter, CF Montreal wanted Henry to see out his two-year deal. Instead, their star attraction left Canada just weeks before the start of pre-season in North America. An already difficult-looking 2021 just got harder for Montreal.