Image: Warwick Golf

Mixed Golf at the double

Mixed Golf 1s

The 4-2 away win at Birmingham was possibly Warwick Golf’s greatest ever result.

Our 1s knew from the very beginning that a title challenge would require a monumental effort from start to finish. Our direct competition was a strong Birmingham squad, while the recently strengthened sides from Coventry and Derby also posed substantial challenges.

Not to back down from a challenge, we began the season with a fine win against Coventry in our first competitive match at our new course, The Warwickshire. We then suffered an unexpected setback away to Derby but despite handing the initiative to title rivals Birmingham, a 3-3 draw away from home was not a disaster. Our first bout with Birmingham followed a comfortable victory over Nottingham. With a slightly weakened side, our strength in depth shone through as the lads performed exceptionally to grind out a hard-fought 3-3 draw in appalling conditions.

We knew we would have to finish the season superbly in order to overcome Birmingham’s seemingly unsurpassable advantage. And didn’t we just – a heroic effort saw the lads win all six of our remaining fixtures, with the pinnacle undoubtedly a 4-2 win away at Birmingham. Several of the matches came down to the last hole and the Warwick boys prevailed in what was possibly Warwick Golf’s greatest ever result. As thoroughly deserved champions, we look forward to challenging ourselves in a higher division next season where we aim to gain promotion once more.

Tom Butterworth, club president

Mixed Golf 2s

The boys showed unbelievable nerve.

A change in the league system saw our 2s placed in a difficult Midlands 2B league this season, competing against the likes of Loughborough, Newman and Lincoln – all of whom boasted huge depth and some serious talent in their respective squads. Our opening day fixture against Loughborough was one of our toughest fixtures of the season. The lads produced some sublime golf under huge pressure to win 3.5 – 2.5; a statement of intent to the other teams.

After comfortable wins over Anglia Ruskin and De Montfort, we faced another tough fixture against an unbeaten Lincoln side. This top of the table clash didn’t faze the team and we recorded a 5-1 home win, leaving us as outright leaders, a position we cemented thanks to three more victories before the Christmas break.

Post-Christmas, only matches against Newman and Leicester stood between us and the league title. With Loughborough only three points behind and with a much easier run in, there was a huge amount riding on both games. You wouldn’t have thought it – the boys showed unbelievable nerve, dispatching both teams with 6-0 and 5-1 victories. We won the league by three points and will compete in Midlands 1A alongside Warwick 1st team next year.

Jack Shepard