Photo: Ann Yip

University releases report on protest

Survey results regarding protest at the University have been released ahead of Warwick’s summit on protest, which is being held Thursday 12 March

The survey results, which were gathered in advance of the Warwick Summit on Protest, have been released. A review of the survey, as well as a document including all of the responses, have both been made available online ahead of the summit.

In total, there were 579 responses, with over 200 of these being from undergraduate students. 124 academic staff also took part, along with just over 100 postgraduates and approximately 100 administrative staff.

The questions included regarded concerns about protest on campus and what could be done differently in relation to protest in the future.

Issues raised in the survey were mostly focused on the police and university reactions to protests, though responses also expressed worry regarding the protests and the protestors themselves.

13 responses had no concerns regarding protest at all.

The figures showed that 270 responses were concerned with the police reaction to the protests; in comparison 232 were concerned with the response of the university.

Some respondents criticised the use of CS gas by police, with nearly as many criticising the content of the vice-chancellor’s email following the protests.

The Students’ Union was also criticised for their response to the protests.

One undergraduate response read: “I would like to see the university being on the student’s side and not treat them as customers, but as part of a larger educational COMMUNITY.

“I would like the university to facilitate dialogue between the parts rather than obstruct it. I would also like to see that the university management CARE about what the people they manage have to say about the institution they are part of.”

Main worries that arose regarding the protests themselves included the disruption to educational activities and working life, as well as potential danger to personal safety and the damaging of university property.

Responses also criticised the wearing of masks by some protestors.

One participant wrote “No member of staff or other students should feel threatened by the action of protestors. It has felt uncomfortable at times”.

Survey responses also drew attention to the high number of questions the participants had regarding the protests, which included why the students resisted the police in making an arrest and why CCTV footage of the incident hasn’t yet been released.

Also asked was why, in the opinion of some participants, the Vice Chancellor’s 4 December email appeared to support security staff and police action rather than awaiting a full inquiry.

Participants were also given the opportunity to request summit speakers. The most requested was Nigel Thrift, followed by student representatives, a police representative and the students involved in the protests. One participant requested the presence of Russell Brand.

• Josh McNamee

I interviewed some unhappy student types for this documentary on student protest released last tuesday: https://vimeo.com/121814367

• So 309 weren’t concerned with the response of the police? Also, why are the figures of how many people were concerned with the protesters not included? Another blatantly biased piece