Photo: Warwick Unibrass team; Unibrass

“Expect dramatic, exciting music and fancy dress”-Interview with Lucy Price

UniBrass is a nation-wide, student brass band performance competition. It is coming to Warwick University for the first time this February following a successful bid to host for the next three years, moving South from its birth place at Lancaster University. The Boar spoke to Lucy Price from Warwick’s brass band about UniBrass and her experience preparing for the competition.

What can we expect from the competition and how does the judging work?

“The competition is dubbed an ‘entertainment contest’ in the brass band world, meaning the bands all set out to entertain you and the judges – expect dramatic, exciting music, and all-singing-all-dancing performances with everything from fancy dress to choreography!

“Highlights from last year include a veritable xylophone battle from Huddersfield, and a Mexican themed performance from Warwick, sombreros included. The competition is judged by two adjudicators, one listening for musicality, the other for pure entertainment and this year UniBrass is excited to have Mike Fowles and Tom Davoren in these roles respectively.”

Which universities are represented and what is the competition like?

“This year’s contest has brass bands from 15 universities from quite literally across the country, from York and Durham to Southampton, with Bangor and Cardiff representing the Welsh contingency.

“New to compete are Oxford Brookes, who are joining forces with Oxford, and Sheffield have also signed up for the first time. The competition is always stiff, with Manchester coming a very close second to Huddersfield last year and with our new entrants this year’s set to raise the performance bar even higher.

How has the experience been, given Warwick are hosting this year?

“Since Warwick were successful in the bid to host it for the next three years, work has been going on non-stop since to have everything arranged in time. With a new, bigger venue and a more central location within the UK we’re looking forward to the growth of the event in future years.

“We’re also honoured to have the support of WTV in helping us film and broadcast the event live to viewers online and on campus, and with all success the event will be a winner not just for the bands but for everyone involved in hosting the UniBrass too.”

How has your experience been in preparation and rehearsal?

“Warwick’s brass band has been working hard developing a unique program to wow at this year’s contest on their home turf. Preparations started at the beginning of this term, with work beginning on The Red Shield March as the opener, a sure piece to create a good, technically strong first impression.”

“Following that, Daisy O’Dell has been selected as Warwick’s featured soloist, playing A Lark in the Clear Air on the flugel horn. Lastly, Warwick sets out to impress with the show-stopping Platform to the Heavens, a piece they premiered in the UK last term.”

Full list of bands competing 2014:
York, Warwick, Huddersfield, Manchester, Lancaster, Cardiff, Southampton, Oxford & Oxford Brookes, Birmingham, Durham, Keele, Hull, Bangor, Sheffield

UniBrass 2014 is on Saturday 15 February at Warwick Arts Centre and tickets are on sale now from Warwick Arts Centre or online at http://unibrass.co.uk/howtobuy