Warwick Business School has jumped up the tables. Photo: Warwick Media Library

Business School shoots up global rankings at Financial Times

Warwick Business School (WBS) has risen to 25th position in the Financial Times annual global ranking of full-time MBA programmes, published in January.

This cements WBS’s position among some of the top business schools internationally, remaining in the European top ten, and beaten only by London Business School, Oxford and Cambridge amongst UK institutions.

Utilising criteria such as career progress as well as teaching and research excellence, the rankings take into account a wide range of academic and practical benchmarks.

It works by reviewing both the business schools and teaching staff, as well as surveying those who completed the programme three years ago.

Questions posed to former students include their current average salary, and the percentage increase between their salaries before undertaking the MBA, and three years afterwards. This gives a measurable idea of what an MBA is ‘worth’.

Speaking on the news, the dean of WBS, professor Mark Taylor, acknowledged the input of both teachers and those studying, saying: “I would like to thank our students, graduates and staff whose dedication, talents and efforts are the foundation for this success.”

He added: “It is significant that the criteria in which we have risen show our strength across a good range of measures – from teaching, careers services, and meeting the demands of our MBA graduates.”

This refers to WBS’s particular rise in MBA rankings for criteria such as ‘Placement Success’, which rates the value of a school’s careers service; and ‘Research Rank’, which measures the work of teaching staff published in international business journals.

The MBA is a continued source of accomplishment for WBS, with around 2,000 participants, most of whom have already achieved success in their respective studies and careers.

WBS offers a distance learning MBA which is studied in over 100 countries.

In early 2014, the QS global ranking of Distance Learning and Online MBA programmes placed WBS as second in the world for its distance learning MBA.