The SU second-hand book sale has launched. Photo: Warwick SU

Delayed SU book sale system launched

The Students’ Union (SU) online second-hand book sale finally launched on Tuesday 22 October after being delayed.

Warwick’s book sale usually sees thousands of books being listed and bought by students annually at the beginning of Term 1.

This year, technical problems have delayed the sale, but the new online system will mean that students have the opportunity to buy and sell books all-year-round.

This new system was introduced by the SU to avoid heavy queuing, logistical issues and book thefts which were previously associated with the sale.

Cosmo March, democracy and development officer at the SU, insisted that the launch of the new system was proving successful: “So far, touch wood, there have been no technical problems.

“The delay of the launch was to ensure any technical problems were ironed out so hopefully this was worth it to some extent. So far lots of students have been buying and listing books.”

Some students, however, felt that the new system had launched too late.

First-year Psychology undergraduate Catherine Stokes said: “I couldn’t really wait any longer for the book sale.

“It was getting too far into the term for me to not have my core textbooks.

“It’s a shame because I ended up paying more money for them than I should have done.”

Many others were assured that the new system was worth the wait.

Shelby Roberts, a first-year History undergraduate, commented: “Being able to access discount books throughout the year is essential.

“I have had to buy a few books full price but I will no doubt make good use of the new improved system now it’s ready.”

Mr March acknowledged the inconvenience the delay may have caused students.

He told the Boar: “No students have contacted me directly about disruptions, but undoubtedly the delay will have meant some students have probably been paying more when they could have been saving money with the system.

“It is a shame and I am deeply apologetic for the delay, but the system is up and running now so hopefully people can start benefitting from it straight away.”

The delay of the book sale was discussed further in the first Student Council meeting on Monday 21 October.