Photo: Warwick University

SU vice president to resign

Education officer James Entwistle has announced his early resignation from his post at the Students’ Union, effective from June 7.

James, who unsuccessfully ran for re-election in this year’s sabbatical elections, has been offered a job with the Labour Party in a different part of the country.

James Entwistle

James Entwistle, Education Officer photo: Warwick SU

He explained that in the current economic climate it was an offer he was unable to refuse. “The job market is frankly terrible,” he said. “I’ve loved doing this job, and I’ve loved being in the union.

“I’m going to a job that I’ll equally love doing but they want me to start earlier than expected. The Union has been very kind.”

James will not receive any salary from the date he ceases his sabbatical duties for the remainder of his contract, which ends in July.

However, he told the Boar that he had worked all the hours he would be expected to work up until July, but without any additional remuneration.

The officer’s duties will be shared among the rest of the sabbatical team, particularly between president Nick Swain and postgraduate officer Anna Chowcat. The Welfare and Advice Centre will also share some of the officer’s responsibilities.

“People can be assured that the responsibilities of education officer will be maintained,” said James.

He also shared his best wishes for his successor to the post, Law and Sociology finalist and Chair of Union Council Erin Davies. “I wish Erin all the best and I’ll make sure she gets a good handover, she deserves that. I’m going to be available to her to answer questions and give advice via phone.”

Erin said: “James has been very lucky to get a job so perfect for him and I wish him all the luck in the world.

“The SU has a great support system in place that will be more than adequate to deal with any issues arising, and I am confident that our student advice centre will be able to help any student in the interim.”

He is not the first sabbatical officer to do so. In a speech to Union Council this evening, he said: “I am not the only Sabb to leave early, indeed one left early last year, but we have a duty to inform the student body of this decision.”

Former welfare officer Izzy John left her post in Week 10 of last year.

James said that as most exams will be over by the time he leaves, most of his duties will have come to an end by this point.

Third-year Biomedical Science student Lucy Tierney said: “I think James has achieved a lot in his role already and as the education side of students’ experience will be minimal during the end of Term 3, I don’t think it’s a big problem.”

Michael Timmins, Union councillor and PPE finalist, commented: “It’s a shame because I’d rather he was putting his manpower into the SU rather than the Labour party… It’s the lesser of two evils.”

Robert Ankorn, who has been voted the next chair of the Union Council, said: “James has an incredible record to take from this year with historic achievements on feedback and more. He’ll be missed by all and we wish him the best in the future.”

Yolly Chegwidden, LGBTUA+ officer for the SU, told the Boar: “I understand why he would take a job, and the trustees have decided he can split his workload into other sabbs’ and staff’s duties so I assume it shouldn’t be a problem. I think the other sabbs will be able to cope.”

James added that he was “happy to answer any queries” and will “continue to work to deliver to students”.

• Lucy,
    Academics should not ignore it with no repercussions, and if it is happening, then you need to inform your SSLC rep or your Faculty rep. We need to collectively enforce the rule.

• Ah right, I thought the only way to give feedback about these things was the module evaluation form, which obviously doesn’t do anything about it for my year, only future years (not that i’m implying future years don’t count) my bad for being ignorant! sorry!

• Also, you can just email your tutor or course leader. They tend to be able to put more immediate pressure on uncooperative academics.

• When I did try emailing the tutor, she just ignored the emails like she ignored the 4 week limit! I hold my hands up to not doing enough though, I wasn’t aware of routes other than module evaluation

• Not sure whether I would call the 4 week limit a historic achievement in feedback given academics proceed to ignore it with no repercussions from neither the University or the Union

• Disgrace to University !

• We should consider ourselves incredibly lucky to have one amongst us whom the great Party of Labour have decreed they need to deliver the new jerusalem.