Education Blog: Gove’s A level plans are disastrous

**Michael Gove’s recent proposals to reform A and AS levels seems to be yet another case of trying to fix what isn’t broke. In the new system, the two qualifications would be separated. A-levels would be intensive, linear two-year courses with a final deciding exam at the end.
AS-levels would become stand-alone qualifications with no bearing on any higher qualification.**

As with most of Gove’s reforms, this has been met with heavy criticism. The University of Cambridge has been a very vocal critic, expressing worry that the loss of AS results will remove a very important indicator of student progression. AS-levels are the most common tool used by university admissions departments and have been seen as a great levelling mechanism. Without them, there is a worry that success in university applications will once again be predicated on the kind of secondary school one attends.

While there may be room for improvement in the area of further education, A-levels as they are now seem to be doing okay. The Russell Group have declared their support of the current system, stating that A-levels are “broadly fit for purpose.” Although we have recently seen criticism levelled at the quality of STEM subject A-levels. It is felt that they don’t deliver a standard of content necessary for preparing students for university. But this seems to be an issue of what we are teaching rather than when.

Gove’s decision to change the format of A-levels seems to reveal yet again his lack of regard for the breadth of teaching requirements presented by students. While many “classically academic” students may well benefit from a linear and intensive course, I worry that those who benefit more from alternative methods of teaching will suffer.

The changes have been defended with the claim that the removal of the constant exam-stress faced by students will leave more time for actual teaching. I’m actually on the same page as Mr Gove here, but I disagree with the extent to which he is taking this. I certainly agree that fewer exams and more teaching can only be a good thing, but Mr Gove ought to be looking at what rather than when. Instead of simply lengthening the A-level and hoping for the best, I would like to see the government exploring new ways to teach people. Every industry on this planet has seen monumental advances in techniques and technology, and yet the face of teaching has remained the same for nearly two hundred years. While Gove is making a big move, it is less of a step forward and more like jogging on the spot.

This means that 2015 will see the education system for 16-19 will be turned on its head. This will put an unnecessary amount of strain on our schools and colleges and may well lead to a decline in the quality of education delivered to a great deal of our students.